none
Robocopy timestamp files 1980 with /B parameter

Question

• Hi, we are migrating a very large amount of data and we are using robocopy. Everything seems to work fine but now we find  thousands of files having the time stamp reset to 1-1-1980.

After many many tests we now sure the the /B switch is causing this issue (in our case).
    But we MUST use the /B switch. Otherwise we will have big problems with access denied errors. to user data.
    Now my question is how to solve this issue and keep using the /B switch.

The cmd line we are using is:
    robocopy "%source%" "%target%" /MIR /NODCOPY /COPY:DAT /DCOPY:T /r:0 /w:0 /mt:32 /tee /v /fft /np /TIMFIX /xa:sh /xd $RECYCLE.BIN /log+:x:\mylogs\copylog.log

Please help!!!!

TIA!

win_builder

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:09 PM Move to more appropriate forum
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 7:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is not a robocopy support forum. For help with robocopy, you should post in the forum of your particular OS.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 7:51 PM
  • You are posting in the wrong forum.  Post in platform forum for you OS.

Look into /TIMFIX and /COPY:DAT

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 7:51 PM
  • Hi w7builder,

Thank you for your question.

Use the following command to check if the issue persist: 

robocopy "%source%" "%target%" /MIR /COPY:DAT /DCOPY:T /r:0 /w:0 /mt:32 /tee /v /fft /np /TIMFIX /xa:sh /xd $RECYCLE.BIN /log+:x:\mylogs\copylog.log 

The more detail could be referred by to the following link: 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145.aspx

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by jim-xu Thursday, September 24, 2015 8:20 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 8:18 AM
  • Not working. Same problem. Only works if I remove the /b switch which i can't remove

win_builder

• Edited by w7builder Friday, September 25, 2015 5:09 AM typo
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 6:48 PM
  • Problem persist! Any idea?

win_builder

Saturday, September 26, 2015 6:30 PM
  • Why do you think you need the /b.  Backup mode does only one thing.  It clears the backup bit.

\_(ツ)_/

Saturday, September 26, 2015 6:36 PM
  • The /B bypasses all security and ownership issues and behaves like a backup agent/ operator.
    I think I will have to take ownership of everything which I do not want to!
    Buggy robocopy

Thanks

win_builder

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 10:50 AM
  • If you run robocopy as an admin or a member of the backup group then the /B switch is not necessary. 

If you have an issue with RC then you need to open a support incident with Microsoft. RC is not a script. We cannot help you with perceived bugs or feature requests in this forum.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 11:02 AM
  • Not working. Same problem. Only works if I remove the /b switch which i can't remove

win_builder

Hi,

/B means that files was copied in backup mode, so we could remove /B if we didn’t backup file when file was copied.

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:20 AM
  • It required Backup Operators privilege when /B use. 
    Sunday, February 19, 2017 7:56 AM