Setting Proxy Settings via Registry -> Defaultconnectionsettings not updated RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

im facing the following issue since IE10.

IE10 is installed on a Remotedesktop Session Host. I control the student's internet access by setting a proxy setting in their registry hive.

Internet ON: via script i add ProxyEnable:1 / ProxyServer: proxyserver:8080

Internet OFF: via script i add ProxyEnable:1 / ProxyServer: noproxy:1234

This method worked perfect with IE9. After the update to IE10 i discovered that IE would not update the values in Defaultconnectionsettings at all time. For example, Intenet is off, and i turn it on. The script sets the 2 reg entires (Proxyenable/ProxyServer) correctly. When the Students start IE, for some IE will overwirte the ProxyServer and ProxEnable with values which are still saved in defaultconnectionsettings. In many cases, that is still the noproxy:8080. 

It all works fine if when manually setting the proxy via the Internet control panel. Then defaultconnectionsettings is updated immediately.  

How can i automaticially update the defaultconnectionsettings, to the value in Proxyserver? 

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on trial, there is no problem with updating the values in Defaultconnectionsettings. So I recommend you manually change the value of the 2 reg entries to check if this issue occurs.

Note Before change these values, you’d better to close all explorer windows.

Thanks!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Saturday, October 26, 2013 3:32 PM
  • Im experiencing this issue only on Remote Desktop Sessions Hosts based on 2008 R2. Windows client OSes with IE10 dont worry me. As i mentioned, manually setting the REG Values does not work for all user. Some will get overwritten with the cached data stored in "Defaultconnectionsettings"
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Hi Andy

The Problem is on Terminal Server, when you set the Internet Connection for more users (changing the Reg values manualy).

The settings will be updated in registry. but if for example three users start IE10 at the same time (after we manualy set the Reg values), just the first user get the updated (and correct) Defaultconnectionsettings and the other two getting the  Cached(?) / or completely new Settings (I would like to  say "reseted values"). all the values in internetsettings will be also overwritten.

If the users start IE10 not at the same time, the Settings will be applied and the Defaultconnectionsettings will be updated correctly. The Problem seems to be the DLLHOST.exe

if the Internet Settings are updated manualy, and IE starts for the first time, it tries to update or create the new Defaultconnectionsettings, at this time we could see that the DLLhost starts running.

As long as the DLLHOST ist running, the Internetoptions Settings will be reseted for other users if they start IE and the Defaultconnectionsettings will be created based on the reseted values.

It seems to be a bug in IE10 and 11, because it is working with IE9 and IE8.

Using the wininet.dll and setinternetoption does not help. same result

Monday, November 18, 2013 1:20 PM
  • Did you ever get anywhere with this?  I see the same issue on 2008 R2 RDS with IE11.

Whatever you do it seems on first launch of IE the system resets the defaultconnectionssettings to a new string...

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 10:18 AM