none
timephased assignment work without using project pro client? RRS feed

• Question

• We're looking at ways we can empower team leads within our organization to enter information about some projects and assignments without needing to be a project manager, or more precisely the knowledge to operate, nor license to use, project professional. I'm not seeing a view of the project schedule directly in project online similar to the task usage or resource usage view in project professional where you can enter daily/weekly/monthly "work" for resource assignments. I'm not overlooking anything, am I?

I know I can probably provision the ability for projects to be created and for task assignments to be made by them, but the more granular level of "this person is spending 10 hours on task a this week, and 1 hour next week... while person 2 is spending 30 on task a this week, and 20 next week"... is not really possible without using project professional for editing the schedule, correct?

I'm thinking resource engagements, and setting that as the field to pull capacity information for such projects is probably the best method for ensuring that we can be fairly accurate with capacity/availability reports? Has anyone done this type of thing before or have suggestions? Have you run into issues with accurately portraying progress if you use this method?

Ian

• Edited by Ian Bruckner Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:09 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 5:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Ian,

Indeed there is no timephased view in PWA for entering task assignments with different amounts of work per time scale. The resource engagements might be a workaround even if it could be tedious. Another way could be for the team members to use "add row" in timesheet (or my task) and self assign themselves on a new or existing task with a timephased work.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by Ian Bruckner Tuesday, January 3, 2017 4:42 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 6:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Ian,

Indeed there is no timephased view in PWA for entering task assignments with different amounts of work per time scale. The resource engagements might be a workaround even if it could be tedious. Another way could be for the team members to use "add row" in timesheet (or my task) and self assign themselves on a new or existing task with a timephased work.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by Ian Bruckner Tuesday, January 3, 2017 4:42 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 6:55 PM
  • Thanks, Guillaume.

Also interested if others have encountered this use case and how they handled it. In the past we've done so by having the team leads meet monthly with a PM who essentially acted as an administrative assistant to make updates on their behalf in the toolset.

Ian

Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:13 PM