none
Set Windows Edge Home Page settings in Group Policy or Registry RRS feed

• Question

• We are deploying Windows 10 Enterprise to 45,000 customers. We have customized IE to run exactly how we want it using Group Policy or registry keys.

However, a lot of sites like Microsoft OneDrive won't open in Internet Explorer 11, they say it is not "The most current browser" even though it is. They want to open in Edge.

Therefore we need to be able to set Microsoft Edge to open a Home Page we set and to use the IE Favorites location etc. I cannot find anything in gpedit.msc on Windows 10 to set Edge up like IE for Home Page and Favorites. We will update the ADMX on the server once we get the most recent ones.

Edge seems so incredibly limited. Does anyone know if it has Intranet Zones to pass credentials or does it use the IE ones?

We can use IE as the default but that only works as long as sites don't make Edge the only browser the site will open in.

lforbes

Saturday, October 24, 2015 6:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• There is no such option under Edge's settings.

You can add sites to the trusted sites in Internet Explorer in the same way you used to add in the previous operating systems.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Sunday, October 25, 2015 1:31 AM
  • Well Edge must store the settings somewhere in the registry. I can't believe Microsoft would alienate its entire corporate income base by not supporting it at a Global Level through group policy. If they want it adopted as the next browser it will have to have the same functionality and controllability as IE.

lforbes

Sunday, October 25, 2015 7:43 PM
  • Hi,

I tried and captured the registry but seem like no keys is responsible for this setting directly.

We can expect that Edge relevant group policy will be improved in feature days, apparently current Group policies is not sufficient.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt270204.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 29, 2015 1:36 AM
  • Thanks. I find it odd Microsoft is going backwards to non-standard keys and files from their consistent standard registry format. Why try to make a square wheel when you have a round one that works so well? Edge reminds me of Vista and Windows 8. People hated them too. They need to add a favourites redirect too. We redirect with Group Policy and Edge would not even import it from \\server\userhome\favorites. I tried and it said an error has occurred. There is no way people will switch without their favorites. So far the only useful Group Policy for Edge is "open all links in Internet Explorer". 1) Enterprise Users Roam so setting needs to be roaming in redirection at least. (Don't like roaming profiles) 2) Enterprise Users need to be able to be managed from one central location.

lforbes

Thursday, October 29, 2015 3:12 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your vioce, I think Windows are committing to the development of metro application (sort of like apps on MAC)since windows 8, and most of them are different from desktop apps which are not limited by registry. Anyway this will be recorded on our side, holp it could be improved soon. You also can feedback by using Windows 10 built in feedback tool in Windows store. Thanks again:)

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 2, 2015 2:29 AM
  • totally agree with you, the lack of options for Edge is a pain!  We at least need the basics like setting a home page!
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 10:03 AM
  • Hi,

Please update your machines to the Fall update using windows update or others tool you have.

You will be able to set the homepage with GPO with this version Windows 10 verson 1511 (build 10586)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt270204.aspx

see "Configure corporate home pages"

signatureforums

Friday, November 13, 2015 5:35 PM
  • Yannick,

This is helpful news. But when will new ADMX templates be released for this?
    Friday, November 13, 2015 5:42 PM
  • I suggest you to check this link, they wil update it soon with the new admx files

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48257

signatureforums

Friday, November 13, 2015 5:55 PM
  • Any update on the Release date? Microsoft has a lot of documents on these new policies for Edge and the Privacy settings but no word on the ADMX release yet. We have the latest update of Windows 10 and it doesn't have it either yet.

lforbes

Sunday, November 15, 2015 2:58 AM
  • soon

signatureforums

Sunday, November 15, 2015 6:10 AM
  • Hi, the updated template files are now available. Use Windows10_Version_1511_ADMX.msi

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48257

signatureforums

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 8:35 PM
  • I downloaded, installed and checked through the ADMX packages, I couldn't see anywhere to manage the Edge Home Page, or lock its settings to prevent users changing it.
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 4:01 AM
  • Hi Nollzy,

I have recently added the revised ADMX files and can see the option to enter a corporate homepage:

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge\Configure corporate Home Pages.

I've added our corporate home page (single rather than multiple) but it still seems to want to load MSN as the default in my case, I'm still trying to figure out why :-/

As for the other comments posted above, I agree that Edge is limited at present, but IE11 is still present in W10 and works pretty well in conjunction with the Edge browser, especially with Enterprise Mode and emulation of previous browsers being available.

I have an IE11 policy and it seems to work fine in W10 and the sites I'm testing with Enterprise Mode clearly state in Edge that the site should be loaded in IE11 which then redirects automatically as well as leaving the user the option to decide on the next step within the Edge browser.

Not sure if that is common knowledge to those of you trying to configure Edge at present, but over the past couple of days this is what I have found to be the case.

Just need to find out why my homepage is still not applying, I think I need a subway to re-energise :-)

Look forward to seeing some replies as this is my very first post hopefully it will help someone.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 12:20 PM
  • Hi Nollzy,

I have recently added the revised ADMX files and can see the option to enter a corporate homepage:

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge\Configure corporate Home Pages.

I've added our corporate home page (single rather than multiple) but it still seems to want to load MSN as the default in my case, I'm still trying to figure out why :-/

As for the other comments posted above, I agree that Edge is limited at present, but IE11 is still present in W10 and works pretty well in conjunction with the Edge browser, especially with Enterprise Mode and emulation of previous browsers being available.

I have an IE11 policy and it seems to work fine in W10 and the sites I'm testing with Enterprise Mode clearly state in Edge that the site should be loaded in IE11 which then redirects automatically as well as leaving the user the option to decide on the next step within the Edge browser.

Not sure if that is common knowledge to those of you trying to configure Edge at present, but over the past couple of days this is what I have found to be the case.

Just need to find out why my homepage is still not applying, I think I need a subway to re-energise :-)

Look forward to seeing some replies as this is my very first post hopefully it will help someone.

Did you resolve this? I have the same problem. Configured a home page but it's not applying. Offcourse it's a computer policy and a domain joined computer.
    • Edited by Jan-Willem23 Thursday, December 24, 2015 9:06 AM
    Thursday, December 24, 2015 8:12 AM
  • Same problem. No resolution.
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 5:38 PM
  • Same issue exactly.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 4:17 PM
  • I have the same problem. I change the gpo and it doesn't work. 

Obs: I've installed the ADMX.

My version is Win 10 Education.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 5:53 PM
  • Your Windows 10 client need to be at least Windows 10 Version 1511 (Nov 2015) build to receive the GPO setting.

Also it appears that Windows 10 need to be activated to receive Windows 10 Version 1511 build upgrade via WIndows Update.

Once your Windows 10 is on Version 1511 and above, you should be able to run:

gpedit.msc

Confirm that in Local Policy, "Configure corporate Home Pages" is avaiable under: Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge\

At this time, user can still override this setting, and I cannot figure out a way to lock it down.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 6:47 PM
  • On Computer Configuration\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge there is a policy "Configure corporate Home pages" but the value be set like http://www.google.fi or <google.fi>

From my experience, <google.fi> does not work, but http://www.google.fi does.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 2:25 PM
  • I installed all of admx files but still no new features, I am runninf win 2012 r2 and diomain level is the same. what now?
    Monday, October 3, 2016 11:25 AM
  • Nothing,

I hope that the manager of the Edge product gets immediately fired from Microsoft and they put someone in there that actually listens to its corporate customers.  Edge is not Enterprise ready at this time.

Microsoft needs a different ear to listen on. All these forums and groups are a complete waste of time.  There needs to be another way to get to the ears of Microsoft.  These Microsoft midlevel Managers and certain VP levels are useless as anything negative will never reach the true Microsoft inner circle.

Microsoft could easily advance into the next phase of technology advancement and human interaction.  They need to trim the fat and get rid of the leaches that are sucking the creativity and drive from the work force.  These managers and certain VP level positions are doing as little as possible while they sit back and collect fat checks.

Some of the pure idiotic bugs or productivity killers that are allowed to be released in Microsoft software  is beyond explanation. It is almost beyond hope that Microsoft can recover from its continuing lack of oversight that is more commonly allowing such reckless disregard for customer needs.

I for one can see many issues with how software is being released.  I don't care how much pressure is applied from the top, there is absolutely no excuse to lie about progress and functionality , or simply cut out the quality control needed to improve customer usability of the software. 

Microsoft could change and gain the respect of all users of technology regardless of their past experiences with other competitors such as Apple and Amazon/Google cloud.

Seriously, quality control is all that is needed. The Quality of some of Microsoft's  software releases are below any standard I have ever seen.  The problem with Microsoft is that this lack of quality control is throughout the entire organization. Implementing this control mechanism requires a complete restructure as well as some fat trimming. 

Thursday, June 1, 2017 3:02 PM
  • I have a post that we cover how to configure your Homepage and your Start page.

For the Start page, we have a GPO

For the Homepage, you can use the GPP Registry policy to push the homepage.

• How do I set the home page in Edge?
    • https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/askie/2017/10/04/how-do-i-set-the-home-page-in-edge/
    Friday, February 9, 2018 9:36 PM
  • I'm seeing a bunch more option now with EDGE. 2/27/2019

What is the difference though between these?

Set Home Button URL

Configure Start pages

• Edited by cfizz34 Wednesday, February 27, 2019 3:48 PM spelling
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 3:48 PM
  • download Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows 10  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=48257 

if you have the group policy management console open, close it and install the new template

once installed reopen the gmcp console

computer configuration > administrative templates > windows components > Microsoft edge

scroll down to configure start pages (11 from bottom) 

select enable (on the left side)

write a description (top right)

enter web address (bottom left)

click ok and apply the policy to the OU

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 7:42 PM