none
Replacing of the old secondary DPM server with the new one. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

Windows Server 2012R2, DPM 2012R2 Rollup Update 10.

I need replace secondary DPM to the new one. In my test environment I have 1 primary, 2 secondary DPM and some test-servers which used like a datasources for primary.

I did the folowing:

1. On old 2nd DPM: at first I just disable protection agent of primary DPM in managment->agents

2. On new 2nd DPM: attach primary DPM agent.

3. On new 2nd DPM: Setting up new protection groups for data of primary DPM and start initial replication

4. After successful made replicas on new 2nd DPM and wait one(two) day, to check scheduled synchronization. On old 2nd DPM: Disable protection in protection groups for all data of primary DPM and press "Uninstall" of agent on primary DPM server.

Did I made it right way: didn't stop protection of groups and uninstall agent at first and just disable protection of agent to have variant simple switch back if I faced the problem on new 2nd DPM? And can two secondary DPM work together with one primary DPM? Is it supported configuration?

Sorry for bad english.

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 9:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Both disabling the agent or stopping the protection methods works in this scenario, you should be able to easily "rollback" if you only disabled the protection. I believe the best method would still be to stop the protection of all data sources and uninstall the agent, you can choose to retain data if you want to save the data.

You can have more than one secondary DPM server, this is called either "DPM chaining" or "cyclic protection".

DPM chaining - A chain of DPM servers provide protection, and each server protects the next one in in the chain. For example: DPM1 is protected by DPM2 (DPM1 is the primary and DPM2 is the secondary). DPM2 is protected by DPM3 (DPM2 is the primary and DPM3 is the secondary) For instructions, see Set up chaining.

Cyclic protection - One DPM server is backed up by another DPM server, and vice versa. So that DPM1 protects DPM2, and likewise DPM2 protects DPM1. This is useful for small environments.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Monday, April 6, 2020 8:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Maksim C Monday, April 13, 2020 10:45 AM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2020 10:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Both disabling the agent or stopping the protection methods works in this scenario, you should be able to easily "rollback" if you only disabled the protection. I believe the best method would still be to stop the protection of all data sources and uninstall the agent, you can choose to retain data if you want to save the data.

You can have more than one secondary DPM server, this is called either "DPM chaining" or "cyclic protection".

DPM chaining - A chain of DPM servers provide protection, and each server protects the next one in in the chain. For example: DPM1 is protected by DPM2 (DPM1 is the primary and DPM2 is the secondary). DPM2 is protected by DPM3 (DPM2 is the primary and DPM3 is the secondary) For instructions, see Set up chaining.

Cyclic protection - One DPM server is backed up by another DPM server, and vice versa. So that DPM1 protects DPM2, and likewise DPM2 protects DPM1. This is useful for small environments.

Best regards,
    Leon

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Monday, April 6, 2020 8:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Maksim C Monday, April 13, 2020 10:45 AM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2020 10:39 AM
  • Any update on your query?

Monday, April 6, 2020 8:59 PM
  • Thank you for your answer.
    Monday, April 13, 2020 10:45 AM