none
Active APPC users not dispalyed in SNA Manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Situation: We are facing latency issues for transactions executed using an APPC application (Internally used). This has been happening for a while and we are troubleshooting various areas to find the issue and fix it.

Issue: We have setup a new HIS 2000 SP2 server for some troubleshooting purposes. It is setup in a similar and matching configuration to our existing Production servers. I am able to see some an Active user getting listed in SNA Manager when we try a LU2 (TN3270) connectivity using the new server. This is OK when we try it from the local server using the WIN3270 emulator provided with HIS and also when we try a connection from another workstation having Attachmate Extra! client.

The issue is that when a user connects to the APPC application using the new server, I could not see any active users listed in SNA Manager. This is when I check for users under "Active users" and also when I check for them under "Local APPC LUs" or "Remote APPC LUs".

Kindly let me know if there is configuration settings I need to check or if there is any hotfix/solution available to fix this issue.

It will be greatly helpful in our troubleshooting. Thanks

Thanks,

Kumaran Ravichandran

Thursday, August 26, 2010 12:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Kumaran

I strongly suspect the issue you're seeing is indeed the one described in 971130. This issue exists in HIS 2000 but that version was out of support, at the time the hotfix was created. The "UpdateStatusRegisty value won't have any effect, unless the updated DLLs are also installed - they contain the code which looks for this value.

You might be able to get details of users running the application by turning on tracing, then looking at the traces; or by turning on "Detailed" event logging. I'll play around with it a bit, and see what I can work out. The other guys may also have some ideas.

The other possibility is to run up a test HIS server using the HIS 2009 code, and then install the 971130 hotfix! There's a free 180 day Evaluation available on the web, or you could use the TechNet version of HIS 2009.

Hope it helps a bit,

Andrew

Friday, August 27, 2010 1:52 AM

All replies

• Do you see anything listed for the Local or Remote APPC LUs when this occurs? Or is the scenario the same as described in the following KB Article?

971130 FIX: SNA Manager does not update the "User Name," "Client," and "Exe Name" columns when you view the active APPC LU status in Host Integration Server
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;971130

The following is another simlar issue that was fixed in HIS 2000 SP2, but it doesn't sound exactly like what you describe since you don't see the correct information under the Local APPC LUs either:

885429 FIX: SNA Manager does not display the correct remote APPC LU session status if you update the SNA Manager MMC snap-in after APPC sessions are re-established in Host Integration Server
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;885429

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:31 PM
  • Stephen,

As I did some research yesterday when I faced this issue, I came across the KB 971130. I did not apply the hotfix as it mentions that it applies to HIS 2004, 2006 and 2009. It does not mention that it applies to HIS 2000 in the article.

But I tried the Registry changes mentioned in the KB, but I still could not see any APPC active users anywhere in the SNA manager.

I went through the KB 885429 article, but this is not the issue I am facing. I am unable to see any APPC active users in Active users, or LOCAL APPC LUs or Remote APPC LUs. The article also mentions that it applies to HIS 2000 SE and SP1. But I am running HIS 2000 SP2.

Kindly let me know if you want me to check something else in the configuration.

Thanks,

Kumaran Ravichandran

Friday, August 27, 2010 12:24 AM
  • Hi Kumaran

I strongly suspect the issue you're seeing is indeed the one described in 971130. This issue exists in HIS 2000 but that version was out of support, at the time the hotfix was created. The "UpdateStatusRegisty value won't have any effect, unless the updated DLLs are also installed - they contain the code which looks for this value.

You might be able to get details of users running the application by turning on tracing, then looking at the traces; or by turning on "Detailed" event logging. I'll play around with it a bit, and see what I can work out. The other guys may also have some ideas.

The other possibility is to run up a test HIS server using the HIS 2009 code, and then install the 971130 hotfix! There's a free 180 day Evaluation available on the web, or you could use the TechNet version of HIS 2009.

Hope it helps a bit,

Andrew

Friday, August 27, 2010 1:52 AM
  • Andrew,

It could be related to the KB 971130. I am not sure of that at this point in time.

I previously enabled some SNA tracing during the initial testing of the New HIS 2000 server which we setup for some testing. I could see the Test Users\'s user id in one of the trace file named "EXPINT1.ATF". The two trace messages were "Manage Share" and "Manage Rel Share". I am not an SNA expert and as such could not make much sense out of the trace files. But It proves that the HIS server can see the User ID of the user.

I am in the process of getting a new HIS 2009 server setup for some testing. It requires more Network configuration changes and Mainframe Host configuration changes to bring it to functioning. I will check for Active Users as we start our testing on the machine. If I could not see any Active Users, I will try this Hotfix on that server.

I will post the results of my test here once we complete the testing.

Thanks,

Kumaran Ravichandran

Friday, August 27, 2010 3:05 AM
  • Kumaran,

I just wanted to let you know that a hotfix for KB 971130 is not available for HIS 2009. No customers requested the hotfix for HIS 2009 so one was not released. The fix is included in HIS 2010 which will be available to customers within a couple of months.

If you find that you do need this fix for HIS 2009, please open a support case requesting that this fix be ported to HIS 2009. I'm sure that is wouldn't be a problem getting the hotfix done for HIS 2009. Generally, we don't spend cycles (dev and test resources) building a hotfix unless there are customers that actually need the fix. If you were to open a support case, you would not be charged since the case would be to get a fix for a bug.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT
    Monday, August 30, 2010 2:09 PM