Need new office document to have template selected by default RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a requirement that all new office documents have a RMS template called 'Internal' selected when opened.  By default I thought about changing Normal.dot but the template does not allow other users to change the IRM settings and therefore the account that edits RMS is the only account that can change documents.

does anyone have any ideas how I can select the 'Internal' template on open or save.

Thanks

Russell

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:15 PM

All replies

• Saw a similar qustion on another list recently that should help you:

There’s the possibility to save a blank protected document as a .dotm file and set it as the default document template (or simply save it as a DOTM). When users open Word or create a new document they will get a document that is protected with that policy. That doesn’t prevent them from creating unprotected documents though, and since they are the authors of the documents they can always remove the protection defined by the template or replace it with another one, but if the objective is not enforcement but secure defaults, using a protected default document template should work.

That Help?

Nate

Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Hi thank you for your reply.

Apparently there is a difference between someone creating a sensitive document and removing the permissions and creating the same document and forgetting to protect it. This is why I am having to go down this discovery.

However the issue I have come across with using the default template is the account used to create the template is the only account that can manage the permissions... and I can not grant all others access as this will defeat the purpose.

I had an idea to create an auto macro that uses the Application.Dialogs (xlDialogPermission) command in VBA but I cannot find the VBA to select the template directly.

I will report back if i get a answer.

Thanks all

Russell

Friday, January 20, 2012 9:27 AM