none
Script to backup local profile to server? ö RRS feed

• Question

• Dear,

Is there a way to use a script to backup the local user profile to the server at logoff time? Actually, more accurately, I want to backup their Documents and their Desktop.

I do not want/need this to get copied back to the local PC when they login.

Note: We are using roaming profiles and redirected folders at the moment but I want to see if I can decrease the login time even more but still have a backup of users data. 

Thanks,

Saturday, July 14, 2018 6:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• This forum is for scripting questions and not for desktop support.  We do not supply scripts on request.

Logon times are affected by no setting up roaming profiles correctly or by using bad logon scripts. I recommend starting by studying the documentation on Windows desktop in a domain.

There is rally no way to backup a profile during logoff.  Modern profiles have many hidden folders that cannot be copied by a normal user

ix the roaming configuration an you logons will improve.  Post in the Windows Desktop forum for assistance with setting this up correctly and for help with tools that can analyze logon issues.

Roaming profiles are not copied from the server during logon.  They are synchronized on logoff.  Updates to the profile are made dynamically during the session idle time for the user.

\_(ツ)_/

Saturday, July 14, 2018 6:29 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I understand very well that this forum is for those who know a lot more about scripts. I am not asking for support of my login time. I know very well that there are several hidden folders that cannot be directly copied. In my question I am asking if it is possible to create a script that backups the Documents and Desktop folders. A simple yes or no question or if you could direct me to a guide towards that goal.

Roaming profiles may not being copied but they are being accessed during logon. I want to avoid that process.

• Edited by Nitman Saturday, July 14, 2018 8:20 AM
    Saturday, July 14, 2018 8:19 AM
  • Those folders should be moved out of the profile.  Use Group Policy to redirect al redirectable folders.  Those folders can now be easily backed up daily using normal server backup methods.

There is really no automatic way to cause a backup on logoff and it would be disruptive of the account logoff and session.  Windows is designed specifically to support a server backup method that runs independently of the user accounts.

You will not find scripts to do what you ask because there is no need for this in a correctly deplored Windows network.

Please carefully review the following links to set your expectation for posting in  technical forums.

This Forum is for Scripting Questions Rather than script requests

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by Nitman Saturday, July 14, 2018 8:59 AM
    Saturday, July 14, 2018 8:41 AM
  • Ok. Thanks for your replies!
    Saturday, July 14, 2018 8:59 AM
  • You are welcome.

I started building Windows networks before the first publicly released version of NT and with earlier versions of Windows.  I also had dep training in a number of other major OSs including Unix. I learned that learning Windows networking formally is critical to building or managing any Windows network.  There are many excellent books on Windows networking that will help you develop n understanding of how all of these things are designed to work.  Learning this makes managing Windows very easy.  Well designed and deployed systems take little effort to maintain leaving techs time to design and plan upgrades and migrations.  Upgrades and migrations are the most complex and time consuming design challenges in a large Windows network.  In order for this planning to be successful we need a correctly deployed network or any changes will be unpredictable.

I recommend that all techs start by reading the latest release of the "Windows NT Internals" series of books. This will quickly give you a good framework on which to build your technical knowledge of Windows and technical computing in general.

\_(ツ)_/

Saturday, July 14, 2018 9:21 AM