Several Questions related to WSUS and WU agent RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I have several questions related to using WSUS behavior - 

Superseding patches:

1. If a patch X is supreseded by patch Y and I install it - would it automatically remove patch X? Do I even need to remove it, what's the best practice for that?

2. Is there any way to retrieve a list of all superseeded patches in the system? (not GUI) 

Patch Prerequisites:

3. Are there any general prerequisites that I need before installing patches on my servers?

Patch Dependencies:

4. How do I know if there are dependencies between patches (for example patch A needs to be installed before patch B)? If I install patch B, would it automatically install patch A eventhough I'm not aware of that? Is there an matadata on patch dependencies I can get from the patch itself ? 

Thanks in advance,

Gili 

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 10:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Gili,

1. If a patch X is supreseded by patch Y and I install it - would it automatically remove patch X? Do I even need to remove it, what's the best practice for that?

There is no need to uninstall the X update beforehand, because the process of installing the Y update is actually a process of replacing the X update. So after completing the installation of Y, check the installed updates of the computer, the X updates will be removed, and the Y updates will appear in the list.

2. Is there any way to retrieve a list of all superseeded patches in the system? (not GUI) 

The updated Superseded status can be viewed intuitively through the WSUS console.

Or execute the following script using the elevated Powershell.

[reflection.assembly]::LoadWithPartialName(“Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration”) | Out-Null

#Depending on the situation
    #Connect to WSUS server, 8530 without SSL
    $wsus = [Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy]::getUpdateServer('WSUSServerFQDN',$False,'8530')
    #Connect to WSUS server, 8531 with SSL
    $wsus = [Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy]::getUpdateServer('WSUSServerFQDN',$Ture,'8531')

#Filter: Superseded updates
    $wsus.GetUpdates() | ? {$_.IsSuperseded -eq "True"} | Select Title,ProductTitles, KnowledgebaseArticles, SecurityBulletins, CreationDate, ArrivalDate

#Filter: replaced other updates
    $wsus.GetUpdates() | ? {$_.HasSupersededUpdates -eq "True"} | Select Title,ProductTitles, KnowledgebaseArticles, SecurityBulletins, CreationDate, ArrivalDate

3. Are there any general prerequisites that I need before installing patches on my servers?

Prerequisites for updates are usually queried in their KB pages if needed.

4. How do I know if there are dependencies between patches (for example patch A needs to be installed before patch B)? If I install patch B, would it automatically install patch A eventhough I'm not aware of that? Is there an matadata on patch dependencies I can get from the patch itself ? 

As far as I know, if the client is updated directly through Microsoft Update, the update installation process will automatically get the prerequisite updates they need.
    However, if you are approved for approval via WSUS, you will need to take the initiative to understand the prerequisites for each update, otherwise the approved updates will not be installed by the client. Then go back to the previous question and read the updated KB article will be the best way to understand.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 13, 2019 3:13 AM