none
Office 2013 GPO applying to Office 2010 users

Question

• Hi,

Is it possible for Office 2013 GPO settings to apply to Office 2010 machines as they seem to be doing this in our environment. The Protected View settings being enabled in Office 2013 have applied to users using Office 2010 even though they are only configured under the Office 2013 admx.

Another issue is that when editing the Office 2010 settings it will sometimes edit the same setting under the Office 2013 admx. I've noticed this with only a few settings like Microsoft Office 2013\Smart

Documents for one.

Thanks for any help.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 2:08 AM

Answers

• > If I open a GPO with only Office 2010 settings and then enable certain
    > Office 2010 settings (such as the smart documents setting) it will also
    > automatically enable the same setting under Office 2013.

If you are referring to "Disable the smart documents feature": Yes, this
    is expected. This GPO setting writes to the following registry key:
      HKCU\software\policies\microsoft\office\common\smart tag

There's no office version included, the path is the same for all office
    versions. So if you enable this setting for one office version, it will
    be enabled for all others as well.

• Proposed as answer by Rolf Lidvall Monday, December 14, 2015 11:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by andrewjohnporter Tuesday, December 15, 2015 12:20 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2015 11:15 AM

All replies

• Each version of Office has it's own policy templates, it might works for office 2010. But better to manage them separately.

Also, what do you mean by "Office 2010 settings it will sometimes edit the same setting under the Office 2013 admx", you mean edit under 2010 admx, the settig will also appear under 2013 admx file?

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 7:30 AM
  • SUre, we have the separate ADMX templates. If I have a GPO with only Office 2013 settings configured and apply this to a machine with Office 2010 will any of the settings be applied? Another example would be if I have three different GPOs, one with onyl Office 2007 settings, one with only Office 2010 settings and one with only Office 2013 settings and they were all deployed to a machine with Office 2010 will only the Office 2010 settings be applied are are there Office settings which apply to all versions?

The other issue is if I open a GPO with only Office 2010 settings and then enable certain Office 2010 settings (such as the smart documents setting) it will also automatically enable the same setting under Office 2013.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 2:02 AM
  • I'm still getting the following issue - is this normal behaviour?

If I open a GPO with only Office 2010 settings and then enable certain Office 2010 settings (such as the smart documents setting) it will also automatically enable the same setting under Office 2013.

Monday, December 14, 2015 7:58 AM
  • > If I open a GPO with only Office 2010 settings and then enable certain
    > Office 2010 settings (such as the smart documents setting) it will also
    > automatically enable the same setting under Office 2013.

If you are referring to "Disable the smart documents feature": Yes, this
    is expected. This GPO setting writes to the following registry key:
      HKCU\software\policies\microsoft\office\common\smart tag

There's no office version included, the path is the same for all office
    versions. So if you enable this setting for one office version, it will
    be enabled for all others as well.

• Proposed as answer by Rolf Lidvall Monday, December 14, 2015 11:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by andrewjohnporter Tuesday, December 15, 2015 12:20 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2015 11:15 AM
  • Thanks Martin,

Is there an easy way to check where each setting writes to? I assumed that they all wrote to office %versionx%\ and only applied to their specific version. I guess that means that applying the 2010 and 2013 Office GPO settings might cause some issues with our Office 2007 users.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 12:20 AM
  • Is there an easy way to check where each setting writes to?

MS provides Excel spreadsheets with the settings and registry keys. They are included in the templates download (Office2010GroupPolicyAndOCTSettings_Reference.xls and office2013grouppolicyandoctsettings.xlsx respectively) and will be available after extracting the template files install:

Office 2010 Administrative Template files (ADM, ADMX/ADML) and Office Customization Tool download

Office 2013 Administrative Template files (ADMX/ADML) and Office Customization Tool

Rolf Lidvall, Swedish Radio (Ltd)

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 9:59 AM
  • > Is there an easy way to check where each setting writes to?

The spreadsheets as already mentioned. Or the online version at

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 10:36 AM