none
Presence Unknown for some users when trying to reach from outside (federated domain) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

One of my customers is having an strange behaviour in terms of presence, let's say their domain is contoso.com. They have Lync 2013 with 2 FE + 2 Edge server + 2 mediation server. 

Internally is working fine. But when a user from a federated domain (fabrikam.com) try to reach a user on contoso.com (writing the sip address on Skype for Business), it works fine for some users and it doesn't for some others, it shows "presence unknown".

Lets say I search for user1@contoso.com (from my fabrikam account) and I see the presence correctly. But If I search for user2@contoso.com (also from my fabrikam account) I get "presence unknown". Both users are on the same pool and have the SIP address equal to the email address. Same policies, etc.

I know the normal behaviour is to show "presence unknown" if you don't have the user on the contact list, but even adding the user on the contact list in both sides, Skype shows presence unknown for the contoso user user1@contoso.com. But when I search for user2@contoso.com it works fine and shows the presence correctly. 

Friday, June 7, 2019 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Antuanfff,

According your description, you could reach someone in the federated “contoso.com” domain.

I suggest first check the CMS replication status for the servers in both domains, make sure all servers are “up to date”. Run “Get-CsManagementStoreReplicationStatus” or check the server status in “Topology” – “Status” with Lync server Control Panel.

If some servers are not up to date, run “Invoke-CsManagementStoreReplication”, also check the event log on the related server to see if there is any error.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, June 10, 2019 5:44 AM
  • Hi Antuanfff,

According your description, you could reach someone in the federated “contoso.com” domain.

I suggest first check the CMS replication status for the servers in both domains, make sure all servers are “up to date”. Run “Get-CsManagementStoreReplicationStatus” or check the server status in “Topology” – “Status” with Lync server Control Panel.

If some servers are not up to date, run “Invoke-CsManagementStoreReplication”, also check the event log on the related server to see if there is any error.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Hi Shaw,

All the servers are up to date. 

The problem is when someone from outside the company (federated domain) tries to reach someone in contoso.com. For example myself, I am an external consultant and my domain is federated with contoso.com.

I usually chat with several IT users in contoso. It works fine with some users. But with a set of them, I always see presence unknown. We are even able to chat but the presence is unknown. They are in the same pool, UPN and SIP are correct, etc. I see no difference so its driving me crazy. Is there any way to debug the skype client so I can see the error or message that Skype is getting from the contoso server?

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 7:22 AM
  • Hi Antuanfff,

According your description, though the user’s status is “presence unknown”, you still could chat with him. It’s odd, normally if a user’s presence is unknow, it is not able to chat with him.

I suggest that try to clear the client cache “%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync\sip_xxx” and try again.

And for logs, you could check the file “Lync-UccApi-0.UccApilog” under “%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync\Tracing”.

You could use notepad to open the file and check if there is any related error when it happens.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

• Proposed as answer by Shaw_LuModerator Friday, June 14, 2019 7:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Antuanfff Thursday, June 27, 2019 10:49 AM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 9:12 AM
  • Are you certain the users you cannot reach are enabled with same federation policy as the users you can reach?
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 1:04 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any update on this case?

Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.

Thank you for your understanding and patience!

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Monday, June 17, 2019 6:37 AM
  • Are you certain the users you cannot reach are enabled with same federation policy as the users you can reach?
    Yes, they have the same federation policy.
    Monday, June 17, 2019 7:36 AM
  • Hi,

I'm waiting feedback from the customer. I will update the case tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Toni

Monday, June 17, 2019 7:37 AM
  • Hi,

Any update on this case?

Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Thursday, June 20, 2019 7:38 AM
  • I narrowed down the problem. The problem appears when the federated domain is on Office 365. My customer does not have a  hybrid Lync/skype but they do have their mailboxes on Office 365. The next article explains the problem:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/uclobby/2018/04/17/issue-with-presence-and-im-on-federation-when-having-a-side-by-side-tenant-and-skype-for-business-on-premises-deployment/

I found out the users that cannot be reached have the attribute hostingprovider set to sipfed.online.lync.com, even though they don't have an Skype license assigned. So the question now is: How can I totally disable these users on Skype Online? Setting up an hybrid is not an option.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 10:55 AM
  • Hi Antuanfff,

“hostingprovider” - “sipfed.online.lync.com” is used for online, as you don’t use Skype online, I think you don’t need this attribute.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 7:28 AM
  • why is setting up a hybrid not an option? if you are syncing your users with ad connect, I think this is the only option that will work and it's really easy to set up...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/hybrid/configure-federation-with-skype-for-business-online

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 7:34 AM