none
Project 2010 settings in Project Options keep going back to default. RRS feed

• Question

• I have certain settings that I have set up in Project such as: show scroll bars, show entry bar, turn on autosave, dates should be in DAY mm/dd/yy format, and "edit directly in cell" should be checked (which will not let you add columns when it is not, which took me FOREVER to figure out, but thanks to this website a solution was found!).

I use the same schedule file everyday, and am the only one who uses it. I work all day with the file and everything will be fine (can add and delete columns), then all of a sudden at some point when i want to add a column the error begins: it won't let me add a column. Found that the reason for that was because "edit directly in cell" in project options somehow gets unchecked, and all my other settins go to the default (my scroll bars disappear, etc.).

I am saving the settings, am able to use the file fine. What would cause the file to erroneously go back to default project option settings once in awhile?

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:15 PM

Answers

• natasha,

First, make sure you have the SP1 update installed. If you don't have it, you can download it at, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587.

Some options are specific to the active file while others are global. Those that are file specific should not randomly change but those that are global may appear to have changed depending on how files are opened/created. To set the global settings for your needs, close all active files and then open the options. Check and set all options to your desired setting. Then close Project to save those to your working Global file. Now all option settings should track as expected.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 10:15 PM

All replies

• natasha,

First, make sure you have the SP1 update installed. If you don't have it, you can download it at, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587.

Some options are specific to the active file while others are global. Those that are file specific should not randomly change but those that are global may appear to have changed depending on how files are opened/created. To set the global settings for your needs, close all active files and then open the options. Check and set all options to your desired setting. Then close Project to save those to your working Global file. Now all option settings should track as expected.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 10:15 PM
  • Hi Natasha,

John has already given you the most specific reason for the issue, just wanted to check are you using standalone project or server connected?

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:12 AM