Still Windows 7 File exporler search DOES NOT WORK RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know of any 3rd party product that allows me to search for files,

as Windows 7 file explorer search DOES NOT function or work. I would not be upset if the whole search team in MS is fired for creating a complete MESS.

I rather not use google's desktop search as they collect too much information to send back to their servers.

Ever since I moved to Windows 7, I have NOT been able to locate files I needed to work on!

One day last week I had to 're-create' a file - FOUR hours work (wasted), only to locate it via XP windows file explorer search.

SO if anyone knows of some other tools that search files contents and allow wild cards in files names, please let us know.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:05 PM

Answers

• Don’t give up on the Windows search quite yet. Here are a few things that you may not be aware of:

Run an Advanced Search for a file with:
    1. A minimum size, type ‘size:>30,000KB’ (not the quotes) into the Search box and press Enter.

2. A specific type of file, type the extension, e.g. ‘type:=.pdf’ (not the quotes) and press Enter or ‘type:=.doc’ (not the quotes) and press Enter.

3. Find files using a partial filename, type filename:x in the search box (where x represents the partial filename you want to search for).

4. Speed up the search by opening Windows Explorer at the folder you want to search. Also, pressing F3 will show Search options Date Modified and Size.

5. After displaying the search results, click View > Sort by > More, scroll down and put a tick in Path. This will add the Path column to the display. Press Alt if the Menu bar is not showing.

• Proposed as answer by willy_zeng Friday, March 18, 2011 8:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:29 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:33 PM

All replies

• Don’t give up on the Windows search quite yet. Here are a few things that you may not be aware of:

Run an Advanced Search for a file with:
    1. A minimum size, type ‘size:>30,000KB’ (not the quotes) into the Search box and press Enter.

2. A specific type of file, type the extension, e.g. ‘type:=.pdf’ (not the quotes) and press Enter or ‘type:=.doc’ (not the quotes) and press Enter.

3. Find files using a partial filename, type filename:x in the search box (where x represents the partial filename you want to search for).

4. Speed up the search by opening Windows Explorer at the folder you want to search. Also, pressing F3 will show Search options Date Modified and Size.

5. After displaying the search results, click View > Sort by > More, scroll down and put a tick in Path. This will add the Path column to the display. Press Alt if the Menu bar is not showing.

• Proposed as answer by willy_zeng Friday, March 18, 2011 8:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:29 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Hi AdoCur,

In spite of your objections to it, I think Google Desktop might be what you're after. I use it on our XP machines at work and it is excellent. And as far as I know it does not send any personal information to Google (http://desktop.google.com/privacyfaq.html ).

Cathal

Cathal O'Brien BSc, PgDip, PhD . TechSmart Computer Repair
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:47 PM