Remove web server from farm to sync farm and DLL versions RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SharePoint 2007 farm with 4 web servers and 2 app servers. Somehow one of the web servers in my farm got updated with Service Pack 3 while other servers are still at SP2. This has updated the config DB with SP3 version in the versions table and the farm is in unstable state.

Now my question is, if I go ahead and remove the web server from the farm and run products and config wizard, will it bring back my farm to SP2?
    Monday, February 10, 2014 6:16 AM

Answers

• Hi SharePointGuy,

i don't think it will reversible to SP2 by removing the web server.

to update to SP3, some steps should be done, for example to run sharepoint configuration wizard process, this process will update your database, and not based on web server.

its true that it may be unstable if there are couples of web/application server that not running the same version of updates.

you might want to try to update all your server to SP3, perhaps it may be more stable, i suppose if you have a development environment, you may try the SP3 update, and check if should your environment more stable.

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by SharePointGuy Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:28 AM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:42 AM
  • Hi SharePointGuy,

to upgrade from 2007, the environment is a must to upgrade to 2010 first, then 2013.

usually if i do an upgrade in my lab box, i will backup all my database first, just to make sure i have a backup plan, eventhough sharepoint have the upgrade process that backup database first. then i will install 2010, and make sure all the process business at sharepoint 2007 can be run at 2010, this will make a check point of return.

as we know sharepoint 2013 is different with 2007, but 2010 perhaps still able to bridge the utility and function of 2007. some of 2007 app may not be run well in 2013, but you need to try regarding this, because we are not sure 100% all custom application that you have can be execute at 2013.

by theory, you may follow this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee947141.aspx

and please consider of sharepoint 2013 requirements: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262485.aspx

Regards,
    Aries

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thanks,
    Daniel Yang
    Forum Support
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:53 AM
  • Hi SharePointGuy,

i don't think it will reversible to SP2 by removing the web server.

to update to SP3, some steps should be done, for example to run sharepoint configuration wizard process, this process will update your database, and not based on web server.

its true that it may be unstable if there are couples of web/application server that not running the same version of updates.

you might want to try to update all your server to SP3, perhaps it may be more stable, i suppose if you have a development environment, you may try the SP3 update, and check if should your environment more stable.

Regards,
    Aries

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:42 AM
  • Really appreciate your reply.

Now since I will not be able to return back to SP2, unless I go ahead and rebuild my farm with SP2, will it anyhow hamper me from upgrading the SharePoint 2013? I am planning for an upgrade in very near future. Currently my MOSS 2007 farm is running fine, apart from the fact that I cannot do any admin related activities like adding a new content DB or so.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:18 PM
  • Hi SharePointGuy,

to upgrade from 2007, the environment is a must to upgrade to 2010 first, then 2013.

usually if i do an upgrade in my lab box, i will backup all my database first, just to make sure i have a backup plan, eventhough sharepoint have the upgrade process that backup database first. then i will install 2010, and make sure all the process business at sharepoint 2007 can be run at 2010, this will make a check point of return.

as we know sharepoint 2013 is different with 2007, but 2010 perhaps still able to bridge the utility and function of 2007. some of 2007 app may not be run well in 2013, but you need to try regarding this, because we are not sure 100% all custom application that you have can be execute at 2013.

by theory, you may follow this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee947141.aspx

and please consider of sharepoint 2013 requirements: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262485.aspx

Regards,
    Aries

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:53 AM
  • Got that. Thanks a lot for the reference and answer. I think since the current state of my environment will not block me from upgarading (via double hop), I can safely continue with the current state and plan to move to SharePoint 2013 ASAP.

Thanks again.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:31 AM