KB4486105 .NET Update Auto Installing? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, having some problems with a .NET feature update KB4486105.  It seems that this update has installed automatically on 2 of my servers and has caused problems on at least 1 of them that I'm aware of.  We checked in WSUS and the update is not approved.  I checked Windows Update and it says for Windows Only will I receive updates and I also don't see it in the update history.  I find it referenced in the DISM logs and the CBS logs.  Is there a mechanism in .NET that performs automatic updates that I'm not aware of?  I'm trying to seek the source of this update but really am having trouble doing so.

Thank you in advance.

Thursday, January 16, 2020 2:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

KB4486105 belongs to the Feature Pack of Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1. First, please confirm whether you have set up automatic approval rules for such products and categories in WSUS.

Second, whether there is other update acquisition logic for the .net update. This may require analyzing the update source record in the client's WindowsUpdate.log and trying to retrieve the following:

• "9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77"
      This ID indicates that the update source is Windows Update.
    • "7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d"
      This ID indicates that the update source is Microsoft Update.
    • "3DA21691-E39D-4da6-8A4B-B43877BCB1B7"
      This ID indicates that the update source is WSUS or SCCM.

I recommend checking where KB4486105 is present below where these IDs appear to help you identify the specific source of the update.
    Reply back with the details would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 17, 2020 1:25 AM
  • This server is not managed by WSUS, however, updates are not necessarily disabled either.  If you check updates it does show that the server has not checked for nor installed updates via Windows update.  Our patch management tool does not have this KB approved for installation either.

After looking at the windows log I do see that the update is downloading from https://fe2.update.microsoft.com/v6/ClientWebServices/client.asmx

My main concern here is that this is has occurred on several systems and there is no precedent for it.  No other updates were automatically downloaded and installed before, so why this one when it's just a recommended install and not a Critical or Security patch?  

Thank you for your response, it's appreciated!

Friday, January 17, 2020 2:42 PM
  • Hi,

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 is available on Windows Update and on Windows Server Update Service (WSUS). It will be offered as a recommended update on Windows Update. A recommended update may be installed automatically on all supported platforms based on your computer settings on Windows Update.

You can consider adjusting the update source of these clients to WSUS, no approval or decline KB4486105.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 20, 2020 1:21 AM