Outlook - Cannot manually configue servers, ports, etc, for @Verizon.net account RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Outlook Version 2002 (Build 12527.20278 Click to run).

I have a Verizon e-Mail account that I had for more than 15 years and recently it stopped working. I deleted the existing account in Outlook based upon the assumption that I could create a re-create account.

When I attempted to create a New account I was unable to manually enter the servers, ports, etc. Using the Advanced options (Let me set up my account manually) and clicking on the Connect button, and selecting either POP or IMAP, entering the password and clicking on the Connect button.    A window asking me to re-enter the password id displayed.

The incoming server "pop.mail.yahoo.com" is incorrect.  The correct incoming server is "pop.verizon.net." I cannot edit the Server. The something went wrong window pops up before I can make a selection MS Outlook closes and restarts.  The new e-Mail account was not created.  If the new e-Mail does not exist I cannot access the "Server Settings" for an e-Mail account that does not exist in Outlook.

How can I setup the @verizon.net e-Mail account in Outlook that requires the manual setup of the servers, ports, etc.

PS: Another problem I noticed when trying to solve this problem is that the default e-Mail account cannot be changed.

Thanks for your help.

Friday, March 20, 2020 4:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Usually we manually configure a email account on Outlook desktop client via Add Account > Advanced options > Let me set up my account manually. 

For your reference: Add an email account to Outlook.

Now it seems that this is not a client issue, it is suggested to contact your email account provider for more information about servers, ports, etc.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 23, 2020 6:03 AM
  • Aidan,

Thanks for your response. The procedure outlined in your first paragraph did not work as set forth in my second paragraph.

Verizon no longer services the millions of @Verizon.net e-Mail accounts. Verizon purchased AOL and AOL became responsible for servicing the @Verizon.net e-Mail accounts. The @Verizon.net e-Mail accounts are now serviced by Yahoo another Verizon subsidiary.

it seems Verizon wants nothing to do with e-Mail. Yahoo e-Mail support was very curt and provided no help but were interested in selling their ad free e-Mail service using a @yahoo e-Mail address.

I know the the servers, ports etc.

What I need to be able to do is enter the server names, port numbers etc. in the in the Outlook e-Mail set up manually. I need a way edit that information in Outlook.

Monday, March 23, 2020 1:34 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

>> What I need to be able to do is enter the server names, port numbers etc. in the in the Outlook e-Mail set up manually. I need a way edit that information in Outlook.

According to my test, if you type ".net" account, Outlook will directly ask you to enter the password. Given this situation, please follow the steps below to configure your account.

1. Open Control Panel > Mail (You can search for "Mail").
    2. Click Email Accounts... > New > Manual setup or additional server types > Next > POP or IMAP > Next.
    3. Here you can type your account information.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 24, 2020 8:23 AM
  • Aidan,

Thanks for taking the time to copy and paste the screenshots shown above BUT in my version of Windows "Control Panel' is not available.

Edition                Windows Pro 10
    Version              1903
    Installed on       1/18/2020
    OS Build             18362.30

The above version of Windows that I am running does not allow me to access Outlook e-Mail accounts via a setting in the Operating System. The version and build of Windows that I am running does not display "Control Panel" when I left click on the "Start button."

I can only access/create/remove e-Mail accounts through Outlook (Outlook Version 2002 Build 12527.20278).

The sequence of screen shots below are displayed in the order shown they appear. Since my account is not verified I cannot post screen shots.

Again, thanks for looking into this problem. Using REGEDIT and Find I verified that the Outlook settings are maintained in the Windows Registry. I'm considering replacing the values in one of my Outlook "burner"  with the setting of main e-Mail account.

Ed

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 12:38 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

>>The version and build of Windows that I am running does not display "Control Panel" when I left click on the "Start button."

You can try searching for "Control Panel" in Windows search bar.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 1:44 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 8:36 AM