none
Printer Deployment Error

Question

• Hi,

I have been using the Microsoft Group Policies to deploy printers in my organization and have been deployed them successfully through the past time. 

However I have encountered this issue, where I am not able to deploy a printer which was using the below settings as my standards.

Error: 0x80070bcb The specified printer driver was not found on the system and needs to be downloaded.

Printer : Canon MF220 | Both x64 and x32 Drivers have been added

Deploy using group policy & Printer manager deployment. Group policy has configured to use point and print servers and have been pointed to my local print servers. On the group policy, the printer deployment security settings have been created as follows. 

As per many technical articles written over the internet says that this should work., and it does for all my other printers but this one.

My environment is : Windows 2008 Server as DC | Windows 2008 R2 as Print Server | Windows 2008 R2 as clients.

Hope someone could shed some light over this topic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- YOSHIKA04 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, January 26, 2017 3:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Here is a similar thread below fix the problem by installing the hotfix below. You could try to install the hotfix to fix the problem.

Driver installation not working when deploying printers via GPP

http://serverfault.com/questions/791390/driver-installation-not-working-when-deploying-printers-via-gpp

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-087 – Critical

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS16-087?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Yoshika04 Monday, January 30, 2017 8:59 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 7:00 AM
  • Hi,

After Update KB3170455 only packaged print drivers are supported for deployment, non-packaged drivers will always receive a popup which will obviously cause the deployment to fail. Canon and Xerox driver are not packaged. You can check if you driver is packaged in the printer management. Go to the drivers and look at the column “Packaged”, this should be true.

If there are no packaged drivers available for you printer you can change a registry setting on the print server to “make” the driver packaged.

Open reg edit on your server and navigate to:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Enviroments\Windowsx64\Drivers\...\Driver name\PrinterDriverAttributes

For Canon drivers set the PrinterDriverAttributes to 5
    A rule of thumb is that you can at 1 to the current setting of the PrinterDriverAttributes.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 7:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Here is a similar thread below fix the problem by installing the hotfix below. You could try to install the hotfix to fix the problem.

Driver installation not working when deploying printers via GPP

http://serverfault.com/questions/791390/driver-installation-not-working-when-deploying-printers-via-gpp

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-087 – Critical

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS16-087?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 7:00 AM
  • Hi,

After Update KB3170455 only packaged print drivers are supported for deployment, non-packaged drivers will always receive a popup which will obviously cause the deployment to fail. Canon and Xerox driver are not packaged. You can check if you driver is packaged in the printer management. Go to the drivers and look at the column “Packaged”, this should be true.

If there are no packaged drivers available for you printer you can change a registry setting on the print server to “make” the driver packaged.

Open reg edit on your server and navigate to:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Enviroments\Windowsx64\Drivers\...\Driver name\PrinterDriverAttributes

For Canon drivers set the PrinterDriverAttributes to 5
    A rule of thumb is that you can at 1 to the current setting of the PrinterDriverAttributes.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 7:46 AM