none
Suspect Tape, Replica Inconsistent and DPM more than one tape Usage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Please i need HELP ASAP! thanks for your concern.

This is my scenario:

Server 1:Primary Domain Controller(+ SQL Server for SharePoint)

Server 2:Member Server + Hyper-V(DPM server with local SQL server)

Server 3:Backup Domain Controller (Hosting Sharepoint)

I have provisioned a SAN volume as my Storage Pool(500GB increased to 800GB after errors), throttled each protected server, optimization set as default. i have Three servers with one server hosting Hyper-V where DPM server is installed.

Three PG's:

1. FileDataPG: for volumes & shares
    2. AppDataPG: for SQL data
    3. SystemPG: for System Protection and BMR

My backup is set for D2D2T

Short term Goals for both FileDataPG & AppDataPG

Retention Range:30 days

Sync Freq:Every 1 hour

File Recovery Points:

FileDataPG: 8.00am, 6.00pm Everyday

AppDataPG: Recovery Points; Based on Sync, every 60mins

Express Full Backup at 8.00am, 6.00pm Everyday

Short Term Goals for SystemPG

Retention Range: 30 days

Recovery Points: Express full Backup at 8.00am, 6.00pm Everyday

Long Term Goals for all: FileDataPG, AppDataPG & SystemPG

Retention Range: 1 week

Frequency of backup: Daily

Recovery Points: 1 recovery point every 1 day(s) for the last week(s)

Backup schedule: Daily 11.00pm

Disk Allocation

FileDataPG:

total disk size: 190.31 MB

Disk space allocated in DPM: 3.03 MB

Average disk space in protected computer: 300.00 MB

Co-locate data in DPM storage pool: disabled because chosen data cannot be c-located

Automatically grow volumes:yes

Total disk space allocated: 3.03 MB

Disk space remaining: 500.01 GB

AppDataPG:

total disk size: 1.86GB

Disk space allocated in DPM: 95.31GB

Co-locate data in DPM storage pool:yes

Total disk space allocated: 3.48 GB

Disk space remaining: 496.53GB

Automatically grow volumes: yes

SystemPG:

total disk size: 70.00 GB

Disk space allocated in DPM: 231.25 GB

Co-locate data in DPM storage pool:disabled

Total disk space allocated: 98.79 GB

Disk space remaining: 401.22 GB

Automatically grow volumes: yes

Library & Tape Details

Library: IBM Storage 3573 Tape Library

Drives allocated: 2, note default was one,changed to two

Copy Library:IBM Storage 3573 Tape Library

Compress data: Yes

Replica in DPM server: set to Automatically over the network & Now

On the wire compression enabled at 60mins Sync freq

Consistency check enabled if replica is inconsistent

My challenges:

1. Are my settings ok?
    2. One tape is marked as suspect?(Initial backup of AppDataPG & FileDataPG)
    3. Replica is inconsistent on AppDataPG?
    4. why is DPM backing up to two different tapes even when CO-LOCATION is enabled i.e SystemPG + AppDataPG on One Tape  while AppDataPG & FileDataPG on Another Tape
    5. How can i take an immediate backup to tape?
    6. N/B: i am also thinking to create another PG for Hyper-V backup OR add it as a member of AppDataPG
    7. Please assist.

Thanks.

jmento

• Edited by jmento Sunday, February 26, 2012 4:28 PM
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 4:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can run this query to see which tapes have conflicting OMID that are marked suspect, then erase them so there is no longer a conflict.

osql -E -S localhost\MSDPM2010 -d DPMDB -Q "Select MM.BarcodeValue, MM.SlotNum, am.omidvalue from tbl_MM_ArchiveMedia AM join dbo.tbl_MM_Media MM on AM.MediaId = AM.MediaId where am.IsSuspect = 0"

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 5, 2012 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For the suspect tape, see Managing Suspect Tapes http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808923.aspx

The same command is still valid in DPM 2010, the only difference being the SQL DB name is now MSDPM2010.

osql -E -S localhost\MSDPM2010 -d DPMDB -Q "UPDATE tbl_MM_ArchiveMedia SET IsSuspect = 0"

If a relica volume is inconsistent- you need to run a consistency check to make it healthy.

Drive pooling - If the user specifies "drives allocated" as > 1 while creating the protection group, the data sources will be split across tapes. For e.g., 5 data sources and drive max limit 2 may write 3 data sources on one tape and 2 data sources on another tape. Depending on the size of the datasources, other scheduled backup jobs to tape in other protection groups, and the number of tape drives available at the time, you may find an uneven distribution of datasources going to the various tapes.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 27, 2012 5:48 PM
  • Hello Mike,

Thanks for ur quick response, but i need these issues resolved.

1. I have run the SQL cmd without removing the affected tape from the tape library & it changed to Imported, rescan & inventory changed it back to suspect tape; do i need to remove the tape b/4 running the cmd?

2. Replica inconsistent: i have run consistency with same status (error Id= 58 on DPM, so have increased the Storage Pool size) & will wait for the next express full backup to run to know the situation.Drive pooling: U're correct as regards drives allocated as >1(Dell TL2000 Tape Library), so will reconfigure the protection groups to be 1. Hope this is ok?

3. My backups were all scheduled for same time(i.e PG1 time), so have now modified all to be:

PG1:short=8am, 6pm | Long=11pm everyday

PG2:short=9am, 7pm | Long=1am

PG3:short=10am, 8pm | Long=3am

was this an issue?

3. One Tape now has all 3 PG's, while one (with two PG's is offsite ready)

Thanks.

jmento

Monday, February 27, 2012 7:45 PM
  • 1) You need to resolve the conflict in OMID and barcode label.  Probably easiest is to erase the tape and put a different barcode on it. The SQL Command only removes the suspect tape flag, but until you fix the conflict, it will return.

2) If all your data sources you are protecting can fit on one tape, then allocating a single drive will help optimize tape usage at the expense of backup time.  If however, the backups need multiple tapes, you might as well use both drives so the backups finish sooner.

3) Staggering backup times is a good best practice.

Monday, February 27, 2012 8:56 PM
  • Hallo Mike,

i have also this issue.

Is that enough to erase the tape? - i cannot change the barcode labels.

MfG

max

Monday, March 5, 2012 10:12 AM
  • Hi,

You can run this query to see which tapes have conflicting OMID that are marked suspect, then erase them so there is no longer a conflict.

osql -E -S localhost\MSDPM2010 -d DPMDB -Q "Select MM.BarcodeValue, MM.SlotNum, am.omidvalue from tbl_MM_ArchiveMedia AM join dbo.tbl_MM_Media MM on AM.MediaId = AM.MediaId where am.IsSuspect = 0"

Monday, March 5, 2012 3:53 PM