windows login RRS feed

• Question

•  

I an new to this.  I just installed wss 2.5 on a vista laptop for students.  All I want to do is have the user account come up on the screen rather than administrator.  In the old steady state you could save changes after one reboot which allowed you to logoff admin and login as user then shutdown.  This saved the user as the default login name when you boot.

The only items I have checked in wss are the top one in privacy and the top one in security settings and the top one in other is gray but checked.

All I want to do is protect the HD when user logins in, and of course have that username or nothing appear when the system boots.

Can you help?

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 2:01 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Jason, you can configure the following restrictions if you do not want Administrator account on welcome screen:

Set Computer Restrictions\Privacy Settings\Do not display user name in the Log On to Windows Dialog box

Set Computer Restrictions\Security Settings\Remove the administrator user name from the Welcome screen

Friday, September 19, 2008 4:33 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Jason, you can configure the following restrictions if you do not want Administrator account on welcome screen:

Set Computer Restrictions\Privacy Settings\Do not display user name in the Log On to Windows Dialog box

Set Computer Restrictions\Security Settings\Remove the administrator user name from the Welcome screen

Friday, September 19, 2008 4:33 AM
  • Hello Sean,

My name is Charlie Watson and I have a question for you.

Looking on the SteadyState forum I saw this question asked

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3888275&SiteID=69

I just installed SteadyState 2.5 in an elementary school that uses a domain with Active Directory and OU’s.

We’re going to be using the lab for Kindergarten through 2nd grade students.

Here are two questions I have for you.

Is there a way to leave a default, non-administrator, username on the Windows logon screen?

I have 25 computers setup and I’m not always in there.

Imagine 5 year olds, a teacher, and having to type in a username instead of pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL and enter.

It’s not a username with a password and it’s just a basic student username.

Do not display username and remove administrator username, doesn’t work.

It removes the username all together and if I login as a student then shut down, it still retains the administrator (my) account name on reboot.

I’m trying to figure out if there is a way to have SteadyState retain a power user or last logged in user with disk protection tools enabled.

And number 2.

We’re guinea pigging this thing in a test bed, namely my lab.

If it produces better results than DeepFreeze we would probably transition over more units to it.

Is there any development end on remote administration of the software?

As to saying, where disk protection can be turned off on a multitude of machines at the same time.

Like we have the DeepFreeze administrative console.

Our technology director likes that global power in being able to enable/disable entire labs at once.

Do you ever see a remote console being developed for SteadyState to allow that kind of control?

Especially for Windows Disk Protection and changes that have to be made on power user accounts.

Do you think I’ll have any luck in retaining a username in the login box with it not being an administrator?

Thanks,

Charlie Watson

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 2:09 PM