none
Bogus actuals RRS feed

• Question

• This is a follow on question to this one: Phantom Actuals.

We are on PS 2010.  Work resources enter timesheets in SEM.  Task Tracking Method is set to Hours of Work done per period ... always has been.

A PM has managed to get a bunch of bogus actuals saved/published on one of the tasks on the project.  My theory this was either by:

• using the % complete buttons/features of MS Pro
    • jacking with the task such that it was toggled to a summary/non-summary task.  It is currently not a summary task.

... despite my job aids and other communications to not do such things ...

Anyways, I strongly suspect the PM did something to basically indicate the task was complete while it still had remaining work ... so all that remaining work was added as actual work.  The PM did admit to attempting to close the task to updates ... which is something you would only do for a task that is supposedly compelete.

Why MSP Pro allows this to happen given our PS server settings clearly indicate that % complete is not allowed is beyond me.  Also ... why "sync to protected" actuals does not resolve thsi is also beyond me.

The only method I know to resolve is to edit all related timesheets to force a task update.  I estimate that at 28 timesheets -- ain't nobody got time for that!!

Questions:

1. Any other ways to fix this? 
    2. I'm tempted to restore the project to Sunday night's backup.  If I do that, will any task updates approved after that backup be applied or will those timesheets need to be recalled/resubmitted in order for those to be applied (or will the updates just be applied after the next timesheet approval cycle since task updates are cumulative).
    3. Why doesn't sync to protected actuals fix this?
    4. What can I possibly do to make sure no blankety blank blankety blanking PM uses % complete on an Enterprise Project ever again ... or if they try to, MS Project won't let them?  The Enterprise Task Tracking setting does not seem to be respected in MS Project Pro.  If there is another setting -- I would love to hear about it.
    5. The fact that MSP Pro ignores the Enterprise Task tracking setting really feels like a bug.  We are on MS Project Pro client version 14.0.6129.5000 (oct 2012) ... I'll ask about getting us current but I don't see anything in the release notes that would indicate this has been fixed.  I can't imagine we are the only ones being impacted by this.

Thanks for any input.

Grady

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 5:37 AM

Answers

• Hi Grady,

just saw your question.

Try to activate "Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets." in Server Settings - Tasks Settings and display.

This will

- stop PMs manipulation data in Project Pro. If they try, they will get an information that they are doing something wrong.

- activate "sync to protected actuals"

Hope that helps

Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:47 AM