How to Add server to make cluster environment in sharepoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Presently my SharePoint Farm 2010 is one-application server, one- web front end server and one- sql server. I planned to make it as cluster environment. (i.e.) 2 app, 2 wfe and 2 sql.

I have an idea like taking the vhd of existing (wfe,app and sql) and cloning into another empty server. then running the configuration wizard and removing the unwanted service application in anyone of the server to act as master and another one is slave.

Will it be suitable and can some one suggest me on this.
    Sunday, April 15, 2012 6:56 AM

Answers

• No that's not the right way to do it.  Cloning the vhd for an existing server can be used to back up that server, but not to duplicate it.  The Security Identifier (SID) for the server will remain the same if you do it that way which will cause errors if both servers are running.  For the WFEs and APP servers you need to build new servers, add any custom code you've deployed and then add them to the farm.  After that's done you need to either install Network load balancing software or define the two WFEs in a hardware load balancing device.  Finally, for the SQL server you need to choose to either build an SQL cluster or use some form of mirroring to create a high availability environment.  For your app servers you'll also need to decide how you are going to divide up your service apps.  Some of them like Search have ways built in to create a fault tolerant environment for others you'll have to divide the workload manually. There is nothing in SharePoint itself that supports creation of the kind of master slave environment you are describing.  Take a look at the following Technet articles for more details.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748824.aspx

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Chief SharePoint Architect: Sharesquared
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Sunday, April 15, 2012 12:00 PM