Excel 2007 files open for read-only users in Excel Services and not in Excel RRS feed

• Question

• I think I may have found a bug in MOSS 2007 Enterprise w/ SP1.  The issue is that under certain conditions MOSS will always attempt to open Excel 2007 files using Excel Services. 

1.  In a MOSS enterprise farm with Excel services properly configured and running, create a standard document library (not a reports library).
    2.  Break permissions inheritance on that document library so that it no longer inherits from the parent site.
    3.  Grant read-only access to that library to a SharePoint group that has NO access to the site.

The users that are members of only that group and have no other access to the site will always experience this issue when attempting to open an Excel 2007 workbook.  The same users are able to successfully open Excel 2003 workbooks stored in the same library. 

I have verified the following:

1.  The library in question is a standard document library. It is not a reports library.
    2.  The Brower-enabled Documents setting under the Advanced Settings of the Document Library settings is configured to Open in the client application.
    3.  No libraries or sites in the entire site collection are listed a Trusted File Location in the Excel Services settings in the SSP for the web app that hosts the site collection.
    4.  The Office SharePoint Server Enterprise Site features for the Site and the Site Collection are both disabled.

We can't disable Excel Services on the farm because we are using the service in other site collections. 

Is this a bug in SharePoint?  Or is there a fix for this issue?

Thank you,

Jason Cochran

• Edited by Jason M Cochran Thursday, July 9, 2009 1:23 PM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, July 9, 2009 2:53 PM Possible MOSS Bug - removed from Title. Just stick to facts about your problem in the Title.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 1:22 PM