none
Have only 2 users that need to access Microsoft Project 2007 information - do I need to buy Project Professional or can I use Project Standard? RRS feed

• Question

• We are new to Microsoft Project 2007. We do not have huge projects, but will have a need, from time to time, to have 2 people accessing the same data on Microsoft Project 2007. Do we need to buy Project Professional with Project Server to do this (seems like overkill), or is there a way to do this using Project 2007 Standard edition?

Thanks

Friday, April 15, 2011 3:44 PM

Answers

• I would go for 2 copies of Project Standard and keep the projects on your network server.  As the project will not be accessed by both persons at the same time, either one can then open the project in their standard version.

Mike Glen
    Project MVP
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

• Marked as answer by Zvonk Friday, April 15, 2011 8:33 PM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 6:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Zvonk,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project forum:)

No version allows you to have 2 or more persons accessing the same data at the same time.  The first to open the project gets full access, others get read only access.  This is very necessary as there would be nothing to stop you both trying to change something at the same time – chaos would be the result!

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:  http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm.

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :)

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP
    Friday, April 15, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Like Mike mentioned - file level permission is a solution. Alternative would be, if you have any document version control system - add the plan to the schedule and ask the 2 people to check in and check out
    Sai PMI-SP, MCTS Project
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Thanks Mike for the speedy reply and information.

But I am still unsure about which product my co. should shell out money for. If the two staffers who will be our corporate project managers simply back-up each other on projects, i.e. they will not be accessing or managing data in MS Project at the same time on the same project, but rather they will both need to be able to access project data in MS Project in a "back-up" capacity i.e. if the lead project manger on a specific project is away for an extented period, we would like to have the back-up project manger be able to access a project's informaiton in MS Project 2007 to see where things are at, or perhaps take over from the primary project manager if necessary.

I feel like Project Professional with Project Server is way too industrial strenght for our purposes, but how can we do the above mentioned with MS Project 2007 Standard version?

Friday, April 15, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Project Professional only will be able to connect to Project Server so in your case would purchase two copies
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:18 PM
  • I would go for 2 copies of Project Standard and keep the projects on your network server.  As the project will not be accessed by both persons at the same time, either one can then open the project in their standard version.

Mike Glen
    Project MVP

• Marked as answer by Zvonk Friday, April 15, 2011 8:33 PM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 6:04 PM
  • Mike, thanks once again for your speedy reply and good informaiton.

I will certinaly give this a try , i.e. purchasing two copies of MS Project 2007 Standard, loading each one on separate destop PCs and try to figure out how to keep the project(s) data on a central server that can then be accessed by either user/project manager separately (i.e. not concurrently). If you have any other suggestions that will help in this regard please let me know. Likewise, I'll let you know how things work out.

Thanks

Boris

Friday, April 15, 2011 9:18 PM
  • Thanks Christopher for the reply. I will try and implement Mike's sugestion and see how it goes. Will let you guys know.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 9:20 PM
  • Thanks Sai for your reply. I will implement Mike's suggestion and see how it goes. Will let you guys know.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 9:21 PM
  • You’re welcome, Boris Smile
    All you have to do is put the project file on the server where both parties can get at it. The first to open it gets read/write access. Then make sure that the one who accesses it first always saves it when changes have been made, so that the other can open it.
    Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:11 AM