search on a local drive difficult RRS feed

• Question

• I must be missing something! Almost everything I read talks about how search has been improved in Vista and Windows 7, but I find the opposite.

As a support person I frequently search for hidden/system files. In XP all I needed to do was check off system files and hidden files and folders, supply the file name or a wild card version of it and Windows quickly found what I was looking for, granted sometimes with considerable extra stuff. With Vista and "7" from what I can see, I have to wait to get into Advanced Search, then check several boxes and wait a much longer time for poorer results.

Recently was asked to search a drive from a dead machine for "pictures". In XP I would have chosen Pictures, music or video|Pictures and Photos, selected the drive letter and been supplied with names of all pictures on the entire drive wherever they might have been saved. When I attempted this search with Windows 7, all I got was a list of files with the word pictures in the filename or contents, not what I needed at all.

I repeat, what am I missing here?

Thanks
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• I repeat, what am I missing here?

Thanks

Ron,

You are not missing anything.  For something that should not require attention, and should be intuitive, SEARCH has severely missed the mark.

This link might help:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/technicalresources/advquery.mspx

Doc
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:29 PM
  • Having a Windows XP search option for local files would be a step up over the current Windows 7's.

As a semi-pro photographer, it sure is hard to do a search for a word in the picture file name on the data drive.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:12 PM
  • Having a Windows XP search option for local files would be a step up over the current Windows 7's. . . .

Having a Windows XP style Start Menu and Explorer would also be a step up.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:20 PM
  • I stumbled onto SevenClassicStart_Setup.exe here but "search" doesn't find it in the forums. A Google search did locate it! I took a dinner break so haven't yet tested it.

The screen shot showed XP style Start Menu.

I hope the search part is also classic (XP).
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:43 PM
  • Sorry to be so long getting back here. I am not receiving notifications.

Sure is nice to see some agreement with my opinion.

Ron
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:25 AM