none
Install Operating System task (specific disk and partition) installing to wrong partition RRS feed

• Question

• For a Lenovo that has several OEM recovery / system partitions, I want to preserve the non-OS partitions. To do so, I configured the Install Operating System step in the relevant task sequence to target a specific disk (0) and partition (5). The installation step targets the correct disk, but targets partition 6 instead of partition 5. Partition 6 is about 4GB, so the install attempt exhausts available space on that partition and fails. DISKPART lists the desired/correct target partition as "partition 5". The problem shouldn't be a matter of zero-based vs one-based indexing. Both MDT and DISKPART partition indexes begin at 1.

I'll probably try changing the task sequence to target disk 0, partition 4, but that shouldn't be necessary. Can you explain what I'm missing?

Thank you!

-- Ron

Thursday, February 20, 2014 4:45 PM

All replies

• If you want to preserve partitions, the best option is typically to perform a "refresh" scearnio, rather than a "new computer" scenario.

MDT is good at wiping the OS partition, and leaving everything else in place.

Otherwise, I would recommend putting down your own WinRE recovery partition.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:43 PM
  • Keith, thanks for your response.

As the refresh scenario is always launched from an existing operating system install, I don't think this is a good solution for our purposes. By the way, I tried changing the specific disk/partition setting to disk 0, partition 4. The (new computer) task sequence still insists on installing to partition 6! Thinking maybe the problem was related to drive letter assignment (in PE, partition 5 is C: and partition 6 is D:), I swapped the drive letter assignments using diskpart. It made no difference. The install still targeted partition 6...

-- Ron

Friday, February 21, 2014 2:31 PM