Can't browse old sites after migration from WSS2 to MOSS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all! We are trying to migrate our content from our old WSS2 environment to our MOSS environment. I ran the prescan and attached the content database to MOSS, however we get 404 errors when trying to browse the new sites. I can connect to the sites using Sharepoint Designer, and I can pull up the documents in the doc libraries from there, but if I try to open Default.aspx it tells me that the file does not exist.

Pretty much all of these sites have custom site templates and I think maybe that's causing the issue. Is there a way to revert these sites back to the regular default template so that people can access them?

My question is, how can I make it so that the sites can be browsed by our clients?

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Spiffo,

If your sites used custom Site Definitions, then you need to install the Solution/Features that you originally used for the WSS2 server. If, on the other hand, the sites merely were created from Custom Templates (which derive from OOB Site Definitions), i.e, you took a template, modified it, then saved it as a template, you do NOT need to copy it to the SharePoint boxes.

Odds are, if your site was a WSS2 site, you have a page at the root of the site that is not being referenced as the default page of the site. SharePoint changes the location of aspx pages when the Publishing Infrastructure and Publishing Feature is enabled to the /Pages folder. Go into Site Settings by entering the URL of the site and _layouts/settings.aspx. Next, look for an item called "Welcome Page", and see what is being specified as the home page. You can key in a new page as the home page for the site at this point.

Hope this helps,

Troy Lanphier -- MCT/MCSE/MCITP SharePoint Server 2010 Administration -- Author: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 Inside Out -- http://blog.sharepointcookbook.com
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:54 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Copy your custom site templates to

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\12\TEMPLATE\SiteTemplates

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:48 AM
  • Hi Spiffo,

If your sites used custom Site Definitions, then you need to install the Solution/Features that you originally used for the WSS2 server. If, on the other hand, the sites merely were created from Custom Templates (which derive from OOB Site Definitions), i.e, you took a template, modified it, then saved it as a template, you do NOT need to copy it to the SharePoint boxes.

Odds are, if your site was a WSS2 site, you have a page at the root of the site that is not being referenced as the default page of the site. SharePoint changes the location of aspx pages when the Publishing Infrastructure and Publishing Feature is enabled to the /Pages folder. Go into Site Settings by entering the URL of the site and _layouts/settings.aspx. Next, look for an item called "Welcome Page", and see what is being specified as the home page. You can key in a new page as the home page for the site at this point.

Hope this helps,

Troy Lanphier -- MCT/MCSE/MCITP SharePoint Server 2010 Administration -- Author: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 Inside Out -- http://blog.sharepointcookbook.com
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:54 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:37 AM