Address book entry email address being replaced by name multiple times RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user who has emailed people for years, the contacts are in his address book. For some reason the email address is being replaced with something like this:

"John Smith <John Smith> >" <"John Smith" <John Smith>

Just like that, including the placement of the quotes and <>. This hasn't happened just once but a few times.

The only thing that has changed is we migrated from Exchange 2010 to Office 365. I'm not sure if this has happened to other users but it's happened to a few contacts for one person. We have not exported or imported email addresses or really done anything major to his address books that would have caused this.

I'm not talking about the autofill cache. This is on the actual contact and to fix it you have to edit the contact and delete the junk and reenter the email address.

I hesitate to call this corruption but it sure looks like it might be. Just another bug that will most likely go unexplained. Ugh...

Anyone else see something like this?

• Edited by jlongjr Wednesday, April 25, 2018 2:28 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 2:26 PM

All replies

• The only thing that has changed is we migrated from Exchange 2010 to Office 365. I'm not sure if this has happened to other users but it's happened to a few contacts for one person. We have not exported or imported email addresses or really done anything major to his address books that would have caused this.

Hi jlongjr,

Thanks for visiting Outlook forum. Do you mean the contents in the Email address field of the user's address list were replaced by name?

To help narrow down the issue, it would be better if you can confirm whether the problem also affect others in the same environment.

Besides, since here we mainly focus on general issues about Outlook client, my knowledge about Exchange sever is limited. As per your concern about the migration from Exchange 2010 to Office 365, I'd like to encourage posting a new thread to the dedicated forum for Migration and Coexistence to see if other community members have experienced this issue.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, April 26, 2018 8:48 AM