none
Process Monitor very slow to apply filter RRS feed

• Question

• procmon v3.53 

64 bit OS W10 latest 

Lightly loaded laptop ... Process Monitor "exclude RunTimebroker"  takes 7 minutes ( procmon been running less than 2 minutes ) 

One core fully busy doing the filter.   Core i7 processor not busy ( laptop essentially idle).   SSDs so not a storage issue "Backed by Virtual Memory" ..... 

In earlier procmons I seem to recall this only taking a second or two...

doesnt matter what I filter on it all seems to slow down to this time to apply a filter. 

any ideas?

Ta

Chris 

Monday, July 20, 2020 10:31 AM

All replies

• Update :  Switching to "Backed by File"   on c:\ 

fixes it back to normal fast behaviour i.e. filters are almost immediate 

this laptop has 16G ram with 8g ram showing as available in task manager ... 

Monday, July 20, 2020 10:37 AM
  • Same issue here. Tried the proposed solution, and it improved somewhat but still quite slow. I have an 18 core computer, it shouldn't take 5 minutes to filter 750,000 records in memory. And having the backing to file add's an extra confirmation click every time you start capturing. 

I mean, thanks for the partial workaround, but is the actual cause still being investigated?

Sunday, August 16, 2020 5:38 PM
  • I've been getting this same exact issue, and not just with filters but also while Process Monitor is actively monitoring/logging. The screen gets increasingly delayed in refreshing, with results having to continue relaying in a while after monitoring has stopped. It wasn't always like this. I'm using a 5.1GHz beast of a machine with 32GB RAM and plenty of it available. It's something wrong with Process Monitor.

Any ideas what it could be? Is "Backed by File" really the only solution?

Sunday, September 20, 2020 3:03 AM
  • 3.8 Quad core 16 GB Ram, Windows 10 X64 taking 20 years to do 1 filter.

Solved: If running 64 bit windows, 32 Version runs like a dog, everything works fine after running 64 bit version.

• Edited by mayansand Wednesday, November 25, 2020 11:28 PM Solved
    Wednesday, November 25, 2020 11:20 PM