none
List of who received a message to a dynamic distribution group?

Question

• I just created a dynamic distribution group in Exchange 2013.  When I run:

$FTE = Get-DynamicDistributionGroup "groupname"

And then run this:

Get-Recipient -RecipientPreviewFilter $FTE.RecipientFilter | out-file c:\group.txt 

It returns the correct mailboxes as members of the group, however at least 1 user did not get the first email that was sent to the group.  I have no idea who else did not get it.

How can I figure out who actually got the message?

I have tried get-messagetrackinglog using the messageID, but that did not show the recipients.

I also tried Delivery Reports tab in ECP, it returned nothing at all from the sender.

I ran this:

Get-ExchangeServer | Get-MessageTrackingLog -ResultSize unlimited  -Start “5/31/2016 13:30:00” -End “5/31/2016 14:00:00” -Sender “mysender@mydomain.com” | format-table -wrap -autosize | out-file c:\track.csv

I got some results with that, but it’s a mess to read & still does not give me a simple list of those who actually got the message.

Any other suggestions?

Thx

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 3:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest to add the MessageSubject parameter to specify that message.

Get-ExchangeServer | Get-MessageTrackingLog -ResultSize unlimited -MessageSubject "Subject Line" -Start “5/31/2016 13:30:00” -End “5/31/2016 14:00:00” -Sender “mysender@mydomain.com” -EventID "DELIVER" | Select Sender,@{label = "recipients";expression = {[string]$_.recipients}}| export-csv C:\filename.csv

Then open that file in excel or txt, it will be easier to read.

Best Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by meetoo2 Friday, June 3, 2016 6:44 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2016 7:16 AM

All replies

• You need to add the parameter "-EventId DELIVER" to Get-MessageTrackingLog to show what mailboxes received the message. 

So it would be

Get-ExchangeServer | Get-MessageTrackingLog -ResultSize unlimited -Start “5/31/2016 13:30:00” -End “5/31/2016 14:00:00” -Sender “mysender@mydomain.com” -EventId DELIVER

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 4:27 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest to add the MessageSubject parameter to specify that message.

Get-ExchangeServer | Get-MessageTrackingLog -ResultSize unlimited -MessageSubject "Subject Line" -Start “5/31/2016 13:30:00” -End “5/31/2016 14:00:00” -Sender “mysender@mydomain.com” -EventID "DELIVER" | Select Sender,@{label = "recipients";expression = {[string]$_.recipients}}| export-csv C:\filename.csv

Then open that file in excel or txt, it will be easier to read.

Best Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by meetoo2 Friday, June 3, 2016 6:44 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2016 7:16 AM
  • Ok, I have a report that is not easy to read & that I assume is correct, but it appears that not everyone who is in the group got the message.  I know for sure 1 person did not & spot-searching the report show that many others did not as well.  Now, how can I troubleshoot that?  Thx

Thursday, June 2, 2016 1:28 PM
  • Hi,

Include recipients  parameter as well in above command and type the person email address for which you sure about that they have not received email .

Thursday, June 2, 2016 1:35 PM
  • Thx Tarique ...I added one of the recipients address's as a test & it returned a 0byte file, so i assume that means he did not get it.  Now I need to know WHY the message was not delivered to certain recipients because it looks like many people did not get it.
    Thursday, June 2, 2016 1:41 PM
  • If the message tracking with the recipients parameter defined with the user that didn't receive the message shows that the email was never sent to them, then check the dynamic distribution group and see where the recipient container is defined.  check where the missing user is located in your AD and if they are included in the recipient container.

Running the recipient preview filter doesn't take into account the recipient container so if the user is in another OU outside of the Dynamic DL's recipient container, then they will show up on the report but not actually receive emails sent to that dynamic DL.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 1:43 PM
  • Everything I read said that running the preview command would show who is in the group & who would therefore get any messages sent to the group.  It makes no sense that if they appear in the group they would not get the message. 

I have now changed my scope to be the Root domain.  I have a root w/2 child domains.  I only want Root users & users in 1 of the child domains to be in the group, so I am using the Company field to filter out the 2nd child domain.

Will report back after I send another test message.

Thx for everyone's help!

Thursday, June 2, 2016 2:03 PM
  • This command worked, but the resulting report formatting was terrible:

Get-ExchangeServer | Get-MessageTrackingLog -ResultSize unlimited -MessageSubject "<subject>" -Start “5/31/2016 13:30:00” -End “5/31/2016 14:00:00” -Sender “mysender@mydomain.com” -EventID "DELIVER" | Select Sender,@{label = "recipients";expression = {[string]$_.recipients}}| export-csv C:\filename.csv

Friday, June 3, 2016 6:44 PM
  • I realize this is an old thread, and please ignore if you've already resolved your issue, but make sure all of your intended recipients are found in your group's RecipientContainer; this defines the scope for your RecipientFilter.

Get-DynamicDistributionGroup "groupname" | fl RecipientContainer

Monday, November 7, 2016 4:47 PM