Lync Online and Enterprise Voice RRS feed

• Question

• First off, if this is not the appropriate place for this question please redirect me.

I am trying to better understand where Lync fits in with our phone system requirements and if Lync online will ever provide this capability.  If I understand right, Lync Server 2010 (on-premise) can serve as our IP PBX system.  Meaning, through Lync server and our IP phones, we can have a fully featured phone system for our company.  Assuming this is correct, are there any plans for Lync online to ever provide full phone system capabilities?  If so, are special devices required for this type of integration, or do all IP phones work?

Sorry for some rudimentary questions, I don't have any experience with Office Communications server either, but I'm trying to determine where Lync might fit in with some of our future plans.

Thanks!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:40 PM

All replies

• Yes, Lync on-premises can act as a fully featured PBX system. There is no ETA for voice in the cloud and what has been discussed is all NDA.  So for the moment, if you want Enterprise Voice, you'll have to utilize Lync on-premises.
    MVP | MCSE:M | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator | MCTS: OCS + Voice Specialization | http://www.shudnow.net
    Friday, March 4, 2011 5:25 AM