none
Issue printing from Project Standard 2010. RRS feed

• Question

• One of the customers my company supports has several users that have been having a problem printing from Project 2010 Standard since it was installed.

Each of the users had Office 2010 installed already.  Project 2010 Standard was installed as a separate program on each machine.  It seems to be a mix of Windows XP and 7 32bit machines.

The issue is with multiple printer manufacturers and models, HP 4200 and 8150 and Savin 2525, 4040 and 9020 to be exact.  The drivers have been updated for all printers on all users' machines.

The jobs will get stuck in the print queues, and the printers must be power cycled to clear the queue before any other print jobs can be successful.  The workaround has been to save the document as a PDF and print the PDF document.

I have done a massive amount of research and troubleshooting, to no avail.  There is one machine, Windows 7 32bit, where I downloaded and installed Project 2010 Standard to do testing without having to keep interrupting the users to work on their machines.  Unfortunately or fortunately, however you look at it, I wasn't able to reproduce the issue on that machine.  It used the same printers and drivers as the other machines.

Please help!

Jessica

Monday, June 27, 2011 12:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The resolution is that works for us is to send the print jobs as Raster rather than vector graphics.

We set this is in the printer preferences (Ricoh), print quality, graphics. Then change from Vector to Raster.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:28 PM

All replies

• A little info to add, Windows 7 machines are on SP1 and XP machines are on SP3.  Project version on all machines is 14.0.4751.1000.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Hi,

I'm not sure thois will help, but it is known that some pronters have problems with the "3-D" representation of Gantt bars. Try to uncheck subject option in File menu, Options, Advanced, then in the Display group "Show Bars and Shapes in Gantt views in 3-D"

Greetings,

• Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:33 AM
    Monday, June 27, 2011 1:42 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, we will try this and update this post.

Jessica

Monday, June 27, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Jan,

I tried your suggestion.  It doesn't seem to have helped.  But during my additional troubleshooting, I found that 8.5x11 printing always works.  11x17 and 8.5x14 printing never works.  Even on multiple printers.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Jessica 

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Does anyone have any further suggestions for this issue?
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:54 PM
  • What about printing to a PDF?  I know you want hard copy, but if you print to a PDF at your three different sizes you may get an idea.  For example, if you can PDF up an 11x17 but not print one, then the problem is the printer.  If you can't then you can still blame Project or the printer.
    If you feel this post answered the question, please vote for it. I am also available here:
    msprojectblog.com
    Friday, July 15, 2011 1:18 AM
  • That is the current workaround.  Printing to PDF any size and printing that to the printer works.

Jessica

Friday, July 15, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Hi,

The resolution is that works for us is to send the print jobs as Raster rather than vector graphics.

We set this is in the printer preferences (Ricoh), print quality, graphics. Then change from Vector to Raster.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:28 PM
  • Hello Rick,

Thank you so much for your reply.  I was hopeful that this would be the solution, but unfortunately, it was not.

Does anyone else have any further suggestions?  I am desperate at this point.

Jessica

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Hello Rick,

Thank you so much for your reply.  I was hopeful that this would be the solution, but unfortunately, it was not.

Does anyone else have any further suggestions?  I am desperate at this point.

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

Did you ever resolve this? we have the same issue with Project and Follow me Printing.

J

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 10:39 AM
  • JRINNS1,

Do you have SP-1 installed to Project 2010?  There have also been several cumulative updates that fix issues with printing.

See:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587

for a list of updates available for Project 2010.

Are you also using the same printer models as Jessica?

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:16 PM
  • We identified the issue was that users were trying to print to 11x17 to printers that did not support 11x17.
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:55 PM