none
Windows can't show network map via "name" but can show via IP.

Question

• Hello.

My Windows 7 can show network share via IP Address but via name it show empty folder. How can I solve it?

Thank you.

Sunday, October 4, 2015 7:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I want to confirm with you that if it is a domain or workgroup environment. 

Since the share folder can be successfully accessed by IP address, and failed by name. Try to check the name resolution process:

Open CMD, ping the FQDN/Name of the destination devices.

Besides, type "ipconfig /all" and make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 3:38 PM

All replies

• Turn on file sharing and discovery in your "Network and Sharing center"

Shawn Keene

Sunday, October 4, 2015 6:31 PM
  • Hi,

I want to confirm with you that if it is a domain or workgroup environment. 

Since the share folder can be successfully accessed by IP address, and failed by name. Try to check the name resolution process:

Open CMD, ping the FQDN/Name of the destination devices.

Besides, type "ipconfig /all" and make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 3:38 PM