Network Tech RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to trouble shoot server performance issues. When i disconnect my domain controller from network and isolate to its own switch and attach a workstation I cannot get any ping response from server to workstation, or workstation to server. This domain controller when connected to network, is on a vlan and workstations can see and signon, but performance is very slow.

Monday, August 16, 2010 8:05 PM

Answers

• You may want to start looking at the server's event logs.  Also, use system monitoring/Peformance Logs and Alerts by setting up counters and logging traffic over a period of time so that you can isolate different time periods when you notice slow performance.  You may want to focus on CPU, Memory, and Disk Utilization to start.

Placing the server and client on a dedicated network probably isnt necessary for troubleshooting, but if you do, you have to make sure the switch ports are configured correctly and the two devices need to be on the same IP segment.  Again, I don't see that there is a need for this isolation.

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    • Marked as answer by Tim Quan Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:02 AM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 11:49 PM