SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard -Configuration Failed to join to existing farm RRS feed

• Question

• I have two W2K8 R2 servers. One "spapptest" has been installed SharPoint 2010 Servr ,and the other one named "sqltest2" has been installed Sql server 2008 R2. This is a farm system working fine. Now I need to installed SQL Reporting Service intergrated into SharePoint.  All installations are fine. SSRS is run one Sharepoint Integration mode.  Howevr, when I run the SHarePoint Configuration wizard to join the SharePoint section on "sqltest2" to the existing farm on "spapptest". I got the follwoing error.

---------------------------------------

Failed to connect to the configuration database. An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException was thrown.

Additional exception information: Failed to apply web.config modifications to file 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\spintranettest8071b98a76-88df-48d8-b4e6-162767154820\web.config'.

Failed to apply a web.config modification to file 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\spintranettest8071b98a76-88df-48d8-b4e6-162767154820\web.config'. The specified node "configuration/system.web/membership/providers" was not found in the web.config file.

Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Failed to apply web.config modifications to file 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\spintranettest8071b98a76-88df-48d8-b4e6-162767154820\web.config'.

Failed to apply a web.config modification to file 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\spintranettest8071b98a76-88df-48d8-b4e6-162767154820\web.config'. The specified node "configuration/system.web/membership/providers" was not found in the web.config file. at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebApplication.ApplyWebConfigModifications() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebApplication.Provision() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebServiceInstance.Provision() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.Join() at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTask.CreateOrConnectConfigDb() at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTask.Run() at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

I have tried to put a blank "membership/providers node into the web.config.   it still has the same error.  The web site has not used any other membership/providers.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:56 PM

Answers