none
Unable to promote pre-production client

Question

• G'day,

I've upgraded my SCCM hierarchy to 1606 and started using the pre-production tools to test the client upgrade. This worked well and I'm now ready to promote it to production. However, when I go to enable it, either through Monitoring > Client Status\Pre-production Client Deployment or the other methods, the option is disabled.

The pre-production client deployment option is turned on in the hierarchy settings and it's been reporting the status of the clients targeted with it exactly as it should, but for some reason, it won't let me promote the client. All of my secondary sites are also running the same build of SCCM, build 8412.

I tried turning it off and back on again and that didn't do anything except clear and repopulate the pie graph.

Can anyone provide any insight? TechNet doesn't indicate this should happen and I don't know what to do next.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 10:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I solved my problem. It seems to be a RBAC problem.

The user I used in ConfigMgr was "Full Administrator" but assigned though an AD group and not directly assigned.

When I added my user directly as a user account in the ConfigMgr console and gave him "Full Administrator" rights then I could promote the client to production.

The funny part is that in the smsprov.log the following line was written both when the user was a “Full Administrator” and when the user was a member of an AD group that was a “Full Administrator”

INFO: User has permission to update the cm_updatepackages table

I could look like that there are some RBAC problems in the CondigMgr console.

I will file a bug on connect.

P.S. Thanks to Vincent Huang for leading me in the right direction :-D

Thomas Forsmark Soerensen

• Marked as answer by WilliamW Friday, July 29, 2016 12:48 AM
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have the exact same problem.

After upgrading to 1606 I am not able to promote the pre-production client to production.

I found a blog describing how to solve this on 1602 but the solution is not working in my setup.

https://foxdeploy.com/2016/06/24/sccm-1602-unable-to-upgrade-client-solved/

Anyone have an idea how to solve this?

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 9:17 AM
  • I can see that the current production client is version 5.0.8325.1010 which is 1511, so it seems that the 1602 client was not promoted to production before upgrading to 1606.

I do not know if that can be part of the problem.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 9:31 AM
  • Hi,

The user I used in ConfigMgr was "Full Administrator" but assigned though an AD group and not directly assigned.

When I added my user directly as a user account in the ConfigMgr console and gave him "Full Administrator" rights then I could promote the client to production.

The funny part is that in the smsprov.log the following line was written both when the user was a “Full Administrator” and when the user was a member of an AD group that was a “Full Administrator”

• Marked as answer by WilliamW Friday, July 29, 2016 12:48 AM
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:16 PM
  • Full Admin is not enough, you also need access to all scopes.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Proposed as answer by ptilsen Tuesday, August 09, 2016 8:14 PM
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:31 PM
  • Both the AD Group and the actual user have access to all Security scopes

Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:47 PM
  • Thank you Forsmark. I added myself as a Full Administrator in SCCM and sure enough, the button became enabled straight away.

Can you post the link to the Connect feedback so I can up vote it as this would probably catch quite a few people who use RBAC to administer SCCM (As we do), rather than relying on individual accounts.

Friday, July 29, 2016 12:50 AM
  • I was also unable to promote the pre-production client (greyed out) after upgrading to 1606

I had to uncheck the "upgrade all clients in the pre-production collection automatically using the pre-production client" checkbox within the Administration workspace > Site Configuration > Sites > Hierarchy  Settings > Client Upgrade tab.

Friday, August 05, 2016 12:48 PM
  • I had the same issue immediately after upgrading to 1606. I was already added as a Full Administrator, but not on all scopes. Once I added all scopes for myself, the button to promote the preproduction client became available immediately. 
    Tuesday, August 09, 2016 8:16 PM
  • Hi,

This resolved the issue in our environment as well.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 6:21 PM
  • I'm defined as Full Admin in SCCM and my scope says "All". I still have that button greyed out regardless of what I do in Hierarchy Settings....

Still need a solution for this.

EDIT:

Seems all I needed to do was right click Client Status folder and select "Update Client Status". After that the button was ungreyed and I was able to upgrade.

• Edited by MercuryZ Thursday, September 01, 2016 3:53 PM
    Thursday, September 01, 2016 3:40 PM
  • Try using the account that you installed the site with.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Thursday, September 01, 2016 3:41 PM
  • I just witnesses the same thing after upgrading to 1606. Previously, my user account was in an AD group that was added to the site with the Full Administrator role and access to all scopes. 

After adding my user account directly, I'm able to see the client promotion button.

Thursday, September 08, 2016 3:59 PM
  • I had 1606 5.00.8412.1000 installed. The Pre-Prod test upgrade worked fine, but I could not promote the Pre-Prod client. None of these potential fixes worked for me. I verified that my account had Full Administrator rights and access to all scopes. The Promote option was still grayed out. I also logged in with the account that I installed the site with and it was still inaccessible. The fix for me was to install 1606 Hotfix (KB13186654) from Cloud Services\Updates and Servicing in the console. After that, I am able to promote client version 5.00.8412.1307 to the Production Client. 
    Friday, September 09, 2016 4:22 PM