none
No of ways to move data from production to test project server environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I need to move all my project server 2007 data from Prod environment including 4 PWA database and 1 WSS_Content database to test environment.

So kindly let me know what are the possible ways to achieve it and what are different pros and cons associated with each approach.

Few which I know are Farm Backup and Restore other one is Backup and Restore of 5 above mentioned databases, so is there any other way of doing the same pls let me know.

Note: We have almost 1300 Projects and 700 Project Team Sites.

Thanks All

Monday, May 16, 2011 1:11 PM

Answers

• In 2007, it was problematic to move PWA from one farm to another. Hence, the easiest solution to restoring PWA data to another environment was to provision a new PWA site using the Archive, Draft, Published and Reporting databases. Assuming that PWA itself wasn't customized with document libraries, lists, etc., this would work fine for Project Server data. The challenge was what to do with the workspaces. If the workspaces in PROD are in their own site collection, then you simply have to move that site collection over to the new farm. Either the collection is in its own database, or it could be extracted using STSADM commands. So the simple solution would be to create a new PWA, move the sites over, and then relink everything using the Site Relinker Tool. The problem is that most people architect their PROD environment so that PWA is the top level site in a site collection, with the workspaces all in the same site collection. If you move them over to a new environment and try to provision a new PWA site, you'll get the error that the same site already exists, and you'll have to pick a new URL. So the solution to that is to create a new site collection, use STSADM to pull the workspaces from your PROD PWA site collection and push them into their own site collection. Note that this is a rearchitecture of your existing solution to improve availability and DR. This is not something that should be done lightly - nor is this something you should only implement in TEST as then your TEST and PROD environments will be out of sync. Also note that to put project workspaces in a non-PWA site collection, you need to make some minor modifications to the PWA Webparts to make sure they still work. That's documented online, but if you can't find the link, let me know and I can dig it up. 2010 has different recommendations as 1) PWA includes SharePoint content now and 2) PWA sites may be easily moved from one farm to another. Hope that helps.
    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:15 PM

All replies

• These videos were just posted to Technet:

Monday, May 16, 2011 1:19 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your quick response.

Link which you shared is for Moving data from PS 2007 to PS 2010 If I am not wrong.

Here I am asking for moving data from one server to another server(Prod to Test) in same version PS 2007.

So your above link would be applicable for that, pls let me know?

Monday, May 16, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Good point, check out this article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd207289.aspx

Should be pretty similar to the videos though....

One point I should make though - presumably this is part of a one-off refresh of the test environment.  You wouldn't want to do this routinely, as ideally TEST should contain your changes before you implement them in PROD.  TEST doesn't require a full set of PROD data usually.  Just wanted to make sure that is clear.

Monday, May 16, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Andrew,

If I talk about your earlier approach which is database back and restore, I have a fear that it may give PWA instance already exist error.

Suppose I have backed up and restored all 5 databases to server.

Now I am creating a new Web Appn in Test environment and assigning the restored wss_contentdb to it.

Then If I am going to create a PWA instance with the same name which is there in Prod environment, I think it will say site already exist please use another name or some thing like this.

So from there how can I use the same PWA instance name having all project and team site data moved successfully in test environment.

Monday, May 16, 2011 2:00 PM
  • My apologies...didn't see that this was a Project Server 2007 implementation.  OK....with that in mind, here's how I would do it (in rough order of preference):

1) Central Admin backup/restore - that will be the easiest route.

2) You could move the 4 PWA DB over to the target environment, and reprovision using those databases.  This won't bring your sites over, but create a couple representative sites and that may be good enough for testing purposes.

3) Rearchitect your solution so that PWA is in one site collection and all of your sites are in another site collection (which is how 2007 should have been installed IMHO, but nobody ever does).  If you do that, then it's a simple matter of a content db restore for the sites and the creation of a new PWA site using the 4 X PWA DB.  To do this, you would basically export all of your non-PWA sites from the current site collection into a new site collection using an STSADM command.

4) Move the 5 DB over and restore with another PWA URL (like PWA2).  Use the Bulk Relinker Tool to relink all of the sites to the new PWA2 site.

Monday, May 16, 2011 5:25 PM
  • 3) Rearchitect your solution so that PWA is in one site collection and all of your sites are in another site collection (which is how 2007 should have been installed IMHO, but nobody ever does).  If you do that, then it's a simple matter of a content db restore for the sites and the creation of a new PWA site using the 4 X PWA DB.  To do this, you would basically export all of your non-PWA sites from the current site collection into a new site collection using an STSADM command

Thanks a ton Andrew,

For sharing such a useful information on the same.  I have completely understand all your point except the point no 3 which I quoted above.

Can you please describe more about this process or do you have any supported link for the same which explains this process step by step.

Note: Do we need production down time for solution no 3 and any other precautions we need to keep in my mind while selecting this process and any drawbacks of this process?

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 5:49 AM
  • In 2007, it was problematic to move PWA from one farm to another. Hence, the easiest solution to restoring PWA data to another environment was to provision a new PWA site using the Archive, Draft, Published and Reporting databases. Assuming that PWA itself wasn't customized with document libraries, lists, etc., this would work fine for Project Server data. The challenge was what to do with the workspaces. If the workspaces in PROD are in their own site collection, then you simply have to move that site collection over to the new farm. Either the collection is in its own database, or it could be extracted using STSADM commands. So the simple solution would be to create a new PWA, move the sites over, and then relink everything using the Site Relinker Tool. The problem is that most people architect their PROD environment so that PWA is the top level site in a site collection, with the workspaces all in the same site collection. If you move them over to a new environment and try to provision a new PWA site, you'll get the error that the same site already exists, and you'll have to pick a new URL. So the solution to that is to create a new site collection, use STSADM to pull the workspaces from your PROD PWA site collection and push them into their own site collection. Note that this is a rearchitecture of your existing solution to improve availability and DR. This is not something that should be done lightly - nor is this something you should only implement in TEST as then your TEST and PROD environments will be out of sync. Also note that to put project workspaces in a non-PWA site collection, you need to make some minor modifications to the PWA Webparts to make sure they still work. That's documented online, but if you can't find the link, let me know and I can dig it up. 2010 has different recommendations as 1) PWA includes SharePoint content now and 2) PWA sites may be easily moved from one farm to another. Hope that helps.
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:15 PM
  • First off all Thanks Andrew for such a detailed description.

If still I am not able to understand the thing then I need to rethink for PS administration :)

Mean while I am looking forward for supported links for above process, If you find any anyone please post it those here.

And Gary seems to be lil bit too fast then me as I was just about to Mark this post as an answer.

Thanks once again Andrew

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:00 PM