LifeCam VX-3000 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have installed Vista drivers for the VX-3000 but when I try to open it I get the message "Initialization Error".  I am using an HP Multi-Media Centre TV PC; NVIDIA GeForce 7500 LE; Intel Core 2 CPU.  Any suggestons on how to resolve this issue?
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 6:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Howard,

I understand your feelings about this troublesome stuff and am trying to help you. Generally, LifeCam software “Initialization Error” issues can be resolved by the solutions provided by KB933311, however, in your case the hardware acceleration cannot be modified. That’s weird and possibly related to video card driver I suspect.

Here are some suggestions from Windows side:

1.    Perform a clean boot to exclude 3rd party factor’s effect. Test if the problem persists after clean boot.

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

2.    To confirm if you have Service Pack 1 installed, click window icon, right-click Computer and select Properties, the information is contained under Windows Edition section.

3.    If the problem persists, I recommend you to contact CSS in order to get further assistance about this device itself. That will help you more effectively get an answer and confirm if the webcam is damaged.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US,  please refer to
    http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Hope it helps!  

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 7:22 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please refer to the following KB article to check this issue:

(KB933311) Error message and the video preview does not appear when you start the LifeCam: "Initialization error"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;933311

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Monday, May 19, 2008 10:01 AM
  • Hi Lionel,

Thanks for the response.  I tried the steps suggested in the article without success.  The one thing I was unable to do was change the hardware acceleration. 

I have an NVIDIA GeForce 7500 LE graphics card. I have Conexant Falcon II NTSC Video Capture listed under Sound, video and game controllers.

The webcam will work in Yahoo Messenger but not elsewhere.

Any other suggestioins?

Monday, May 19, 2008 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, the webcam works with Yahoo Messenger. Please let me know what applications that you’ve tested fail to work with this device. Have you ever tried Windows Live Messenger? Besides, why can’t the hardware acceleration be changed?

Check the version of your DirectX and video card driver also.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:50 AM
  • Hi Lionel,

I've tried the webcam with Windows Live Messenger but it does not work.  Nor will it work as a stand-alone.  When I try to open it, I get the Initialization Error message as noted above.

The hardware won't let me change settings, that is the message I get.

How do I check the version of Direct X and video card driver.  I have downloaded the latest versions of each according to the Nvidia website and regualr Microsoft updates.

Howard
    Saturday, May 24, 2008 4:32 PM
  • Hi Howard,

You can run command “dxdiag” to check both the version of DirectX and the model of your graphic card. (Graphic card model is displayed in the second tab.)

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Thursday, May 29, 2008 7:03 AM
  •  

Hello Lionel,

The graphics card is: NVIDIA GeForce 7500 LE; DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Main Driver is : nvd3dum.dll;nvwg2um.dll

Version: 7.15.0011.6230 (English)

Date: 28/07/2007

DDI Version 10

Direct X version 10

What will be my next step?

Thursday, May 29, 2008 2:51 PM
  • Hi Howard,

It seems that the driver for your video card is quite legacy. In Nvidia’s website, here is a most updated one that supports Nvidia Geforce 7500LE graphic card:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_175.16_whql.html

Give it a try, Howard. Have a nice weekend!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Friday, May 30, 2008 1:32 AM
  • Good Morning Lionel,

I've updated the driver as suggested; still getting the same error message when I sign in though.  Any further suggestions?

Saturday, May 31, 2008 2:57 PM
  • Hi,

Go back to the first suggestion I gave you, could you let me know why the acceleration setting cannot be reduced?

Besides, confirm that your system is fully updated, including Service Pack 1.

Nice day!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Monday, June 2, 2008 2:03 AM
  • Good Morning Lionel,

We seem to be going in circles here.  I once again followed the directions in that post.  I still get an "Initialization Error" upon opening the LifeCam.

I cannot change the hardware acceleration setting.

The only thing I have not determined is if I have installed Service Pack 1.  However, according to the Windows Vista updates, my computer is up to date with all suggested updates installed.

Any further suggestions, other than buying a Logitech camera?  I purchased a Microsoft Camera on the seemingly naive notion that since they created the operating system software, the camera must work with Vista.  I was quite wrong and am very frustrated by teh seemingly endless go around to make the camera work.

Howard

Monday, June 2, 2008 2:56 PM
  • Hi Howard,

I understand your feelings about this troublesome stuff and am trying to help you. Generally, LifeCam software “Initialization Error” issues can be resolved by the solutions provided by KB933311, however, in your case the hardware acceleration cannot be modified. That’s weird and possibly related to video card driver I suspect.

Here are some suggestions from Windows side:

1.    Perform a clean boot to exclude 3rd party factor’s effect. Test if the problem persists after clean boot.

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

2.    To confirm if you have Service Pack 1 installed, click window icon, right-click Computer and select Properties, the information is contained under Windows Edition section.

3.    If the problem persists, I recommend you to contact CSS in order to get further assistance about this device itself. That will help you more effectively get an answer and confirm if the webcam is damaged.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US,  please refer to
    http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Hope it helps!  

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 7:22 AM
  • Hi Lionel,

Well, it has been a few weeks, however, there is no change.  I did a clean boot but have the same problem.  I will contact Customer Service, but so far my attempts to do so have been unsuccessful.  So, yes, I remain frustrated.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 2:27 PM