Help with MDT 6.3.8443.1000 and USMT RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on finishing up putting my MDT server together so that I have almost a zero touch deployment. I'm wanting to be able to boot to LiteTouchPE.wim, have USMT run the capture offline, install 1703, finalize the installation, install apps and such.

The issue I've been scouring the internet in search for an answer to is getting the USMT offline capture data to save to a network file share instead of the local WinPE environment. Many of the machines that I will be upgrading are guaranteed to have capture data larger than what the WinPE environment will be able to store.

I've tried many different customsettings.ini options to no avail. I've more recently been testing with OSDStateStorePath to no avail. The current settings I've been working with are as follows:

SkipUserData=NO
    UDShare=\\<server>\DesktopBackups\MDT\USMT\
    UDDir=%OSDComputerName%
    OSDStateStorePath=\\<server>\DesktopBackups\mdt\usmt\%OSDComputerName%
    UserDataLocation=NETWORK
    USMTOfflineMigration=TRUE
    USMTMigFiles001=migdocs.xml
    USMTMigFiles002=migapp.xml
    USMTMigFiles003-miguser.xml
    USMTConfigFile=Config.xml
    ScanStateArgs=/uel:14 /v:13
    LoadStateArgs=/v:13

Hoping for some pointers whether its a customsettings.ini option I haven't stumbled across yet, editing the ZTIUserState file or anything else.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 6:06 AM

All replies

• The deployment scripts will store the user state migration data on a local hard disk of space is available if you set UserDataLocation to AUTO. Otherwise, the user state migration data is saved to a network location, which is specified in the UDShare and UDDir properties.

I would remove the OSDStateStorePath variable, as it is not required. Additionally, you may want to take a look at this TechNet thread for additional pointers: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/37f9b92b-181d-4629-a424-a3a6b2b08e9c/performing-a-usmt-migration-in-offline-mode-under-windows-pe-my-solution?forum=mdt

There is also a typo in your CS.ini: USMTMigFiles003-miguser.xml (should be USMTMigFiles003=miguser.xml)

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:48 AM
  • Thank you for the pointers, info and such. Since I couldn't find anything concrete on where the offline backup and such is stored, I was making some assumptions.

With the current configs I have set in the CS.ini above, there isn't anything showing up in the network location I have set. From what I've been able to piece together, I believe the UDShare and UDDir are used when running the capture state when the machine is online, but I'm happy to be wrong at the same time.

I came in to the current work environment a few years back and am just getting going on the automated-imaging side of things. We're finally done with a couple of larger projects and can now look at deploying Windows 10 across the enterprise.

The current config for our Windows 7 machines has only one partition for the OS. I'm looking to use MDT to automate the installation and recommended partitioning for the sake of Bitlocker/MBAM, WinRE, Windows 10 itself and such.

This all being said, I'll dig in to the link that was provided and recommendations made, but I'm assuming the captured offline files will not be "safe" on the host drive with the needed repartitioning?

Also, thank you for catching my typo.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 9:30 PM