Exchange 2013 Outlook 2016 - Single user can't use schedule assistant when people outside our domain are invited RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,  We are running Exchange 2013 in an AD environment. We have a federation/trust set up with our parent company so we can view their free/busy information. They are a completely separated domain. We are our own single forest and they are their own. The only trust is through the edge server for federation. When a particular user opens a meeting set up by the parent or just has members of the parent company invited, and clicks on Scheduling Assistant, he gets "outlook has encountered a problem" and outlook closes and reopens. He can set up a meeting and invite members of the parent, but he can't open his meeting and go to Scheduling assistant. This occurs when he opens "just this occurrence" or "entire series" of the meeting. I can be on the same machine, logged in as myself, open my outlook, go to the same meeting and see everyone when i click on Scheduling assistant. If he logs in, and I add my mail acct to his outlook under a second profile, outlook crashes when my acct opens scheduling assistant. This HAS to be profile related, but the machine i'm currently using is brand new, out of the box install with windows 10 (1703). His profile was the first one i added and it broke instantly when schedule assistant was tried. Outlook and windows are both patched/up to date. I had a third person log into this machine and open outlook, outlook auto-configured based on the logged in user, and they could open the meeting in question and then the scheduling assistant with no issues. Can someone help me figure out what i'm missing? I tried to open outlook in safe mode /safe1 /safe2 - no effect. I tried to open outlook with /cleanfreebusy , but apparently that switch has been removed from 2016. This occurs with ANY meeting in which a member of our parent is an invitee - and again, for only a single user.
    Tuesday, September 5, 2017 5:08 PM

All replies

• >> I can be on the same machine, logged in as myself, open my outlook, go to the same meeting and see everyone when i click on Scheduling assistant.

>>This HAS to be profile related, but the machine i'm currently using is brand new, out of the box install with windows 10 (1703). His profile was the first one...

What if you configure this specific user's email account on a different machine? Will he/she encounter the same issue?  

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 9:49 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. The user has their own machine. When I log into their machine, and configure outlook, it works great. I tried removing their profile from windows via /system/advanced settings but the issue remained. I opened a brand new laptop, and configured it for the user and the issue is there.. When i log in, or someone else to the same machine, it works finre.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 11:45 AM
  • also, under the user windows profile, I went to control panel/mail, added a profile with my acct info and opened outlook with that profile, i had the same scheduling assistant issue.
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 11:48 AM
  • then it's not an issue with the windows profile, looks like an issue with this user's mailbox. is it possible (how much impact) to create a new mailbox, then migrate this user's mailbox on the server side?
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 8:02 AM