none
HELP - Project has messed up all my work RRS feed

• Question

• I spent 6 hours yesterday editing a 21 year Project timeline - it was in GREAT shape.  Saved and closed it last night at the end of my day, opened it this morning and everything has changed (no, no-one else has been into it) - my 290 tasks have been reshuffled into no particular order.  Misc. sub-tasks have now become major tasks with completely unrelated subtasks moved under them.  It's a giant mess - why has this happened and how do I get project top restore all my work back to the previous save when it was perfect?????????
    Monday, February 13, 2012 11:19 PM

Answers

• I agree with all previous suggestions.

You may have a corrupt file, which can occur if you are updating the file over a busy LAN or the file was saved backward and forward between Project versions. To protect against data loss over a LAN, you may want to maintain the file in a Briefcase folder, so that you are editing locally, but synched to your LAN drive when you open and close the file.

In Project Options General, verify that your default view is correct. I have had files open in a strange view because my default view included a table not present in the file I opened.

Create a new view with a Gantt screen type, select or create a table that contains both ID and Unique ID, Filter for all tasks, No Group.

Assuming that you recently created the file, compare the ID to the UID. Sort by UID, deselecting Keep Outline Structure. If the result looks a lot better than previously, resort on UID and select Permanently renumber tasks. One nice feature is that if a task inadvertently becomes a summary task, when you outdent the subtasks, the original duration reappears.

Dean Carroll

• Edited by DeanLC Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:33 PM corrrect typos
    • Marked as answer by Mike GlenModerator Monday, April 16, 2012 4:05 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:16 PM

All replies

• Sandgroper74,

Wow, that's a bummer, I sympathize with your frustration. First, it would be helpful to know which version of Project you are using. Also, do you have the latest service pack(s) installed? You can check at, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587. If you do not, download and install them now.

Next question, did you periodically save your file during your 6 hour editing period? If so, and I certainly hope the answer is yes, can you open an earlier version?

The obvious answer might be that either a filter or sorting is applied to the current view. That can certainly cause a normal file to look all messed up just like you describe.

John

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:46 AM
  • That hurts!  When doing saves I always increment up the number (so for instance I will have 20120220 for the gross day changes but I will put a-z for all the saves during the day (20120220a).  This protects against MSP breaking and then I save a broken file over a good version).

As John says look for filters or groups which often make the plan look like you describe - in pre ribbon versions Project / Filter (should show "ALL") and then Project / Group ("no group") in the ribbon versions look at the "View" ribbon and the Data section - filter and group are shown here.

Sort might also cause some issues - again look in the same places for thsi.

You might also try re-applying the view - right mouse and re-chose the same view to ensure than all filters etc have been correctly applied.

Good luck

Miles

Monday, February 20, 2012 2:25 PM
  • I feel your pain - hopefully one of the previous suggestions has resolved this.

I have no more suggestions to add, but I have been looking at a solution which would create back-ups so you could roll back if your master file did go haywire again. It saves a date/time stamped copy of the file, as per Miles suggestion, but does this automtically each time you close project.

Details over on another thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog/thread/118a6288-68ab-4739-b317-038f27668f7b/#ccd27618-d749-4b1e-bd3e-6af718984760

Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:52 PM
  • I agree with all previous suggestions.

You may have a corrupt file, which can occur if you are updating the file over a busy LAN or the file was saved backward and forward between Project versions. To protect against data loss over a LAN, you may want to maintain the file in a Briefcase folder, so that you are editing locally, but synched to your LAN drive when you open and close the file.

In Project Options General, verify that your default view is correct. I have had files open in a strange view because my default view included a table not present in the file I opened.

Create a new view with a Gantt screen type, select or create a table that contains both ID and Unique ID, Filter for all tasks, No Group.

Assuming that you recently created the file, compare the ID to the UID. Sort by UID, deselecting Keep Outline Structure. If the result looks a lot better than previously, resort on UID and select Permanently renumber tasks. One nice feature is that if a task inadvertently becomes a summary task, when you outdent the subtasks, the original duration reappears.

Dean Carroll

• Edited by DeanLC Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:33 PM corrrect typos
    • Marked as answer by Mike GlenModerator Monday, April 16, 2012 4:05 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:16 PM
  • Hello Sandgroper74,

How is your progress so far ?

Regards.

Monday, February 27, 2012 9:24 PM