streaming video RRS feed

• General discussion

• i try to watch streaming video and all i get is it will statr to play and stop and re buffer and start to play. a 3 min. vido will take 10 min to watch. what can i do to fix the problem.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 11:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

To make the issue clear, please let us know the following:

1.    Which streaming video file are you playing? If possible, please give us the file or the address of the file and we will test on it. Will the issue occur when just playing a specific video?

2.    Which software are you using to play the streaming video?

3.    Just as a test, please pause when it is buffering. After buffering completely, please play the video to see if the issue persists.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 8:03 AM
  • Any streaming video.

I am using windows media player.

I have a new dell studio computer core 2 quad with 4 gig of memory.

I am also using a dsl modem 256.

It should not take so long to download a file or to watch a 3 min video.

I can let the video duffer and it will play with now problems but it take forever to load to the buffer.

my son laptop uses the same conection and his computer has no problem with any video. 

I ran a broad band test and the down load speed was 220 nad the upload speed was 208.

Thank you for any help you can give me.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 12:42 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for updating.

At this time, please try the following to narrow down the issue:

1.    Please disable or temporarily remove the security software, such as antivirus software, firewall, etc. to check if it works.

2.    Perform a Clean Boot on the computer to check if there are some conflicts on the system.

Clean boot

=================

1)     Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2)   Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3)   Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

NOTE: we can go back to normal boot by running msconfig again and checking on Normal Startup in the General tab.

In the Clean Boot Environment, the third party services and applications are disabled, please check if the issue reoccurs at this time.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

3.    If it is possible, please connect the computer to another network to see if the issue reoccurs. As you mentioned that your son’s laptop works well on the network, please let me know if it is a Windows Vista laptop.

If the issue persists, please also give us some URLs of the videos and we will do some tests.

Thanks for your efforts.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:36 AM