none
Win10 ISO - Multiple WIMs with AutoUnattend.xml/Unattend.xml

Question

• I have a few questions but I think I'll just start with one.  I've been on other forums but my queries aren't getting any responses.  Please bear with me as your answers will likely spawn more questions.

I've already used SYSPREP/DISM to setup and capture a WIM with a reference machine.  I've deployed this WIM many times by merely replacing install.wim on the typical Win10 ISO/disk and booting up into the installation.  This method works great - for the most part.  My idea is to append other images into the WIM and keep using the same deployment method.  

Here is my question:

• Can you use AutoUnattend.xml, placed onto the root of the ISO/disk, and still have access to select from the list of operating systems when you boot the installation media?  In other words, can I use AutoUnattend.xml and a WIM with multiple captures appended to install.wim?  I know you can have multiple captures appended to install.wim and get prompted to select one (You see this when booting up a vol-licensed version of Server 2012 R2.) but can you still use AutoUnattend.xml?  I'm not doing anything crazy with AutoUnattend.xml; I'm merely scripting my way through the OOBE and those answers will be the same for any image appended to install.wim.
    Monday, March 13, 2017 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hello

You can configure WDS to have a global unattend or a per Image unattended.  If no unattend file is specifically specified on an image, the global will be used on a per architecture basis.
    See this:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766320(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_UsingUnattendFiles 

Regards, Regin Ravi

Monday, March 13, 2017 3:31 PM
  • We're not using WDS for this (Don't ask!) due to politics.  We'recurrently using some other imaging software and I'm trying to show some of my peers how to use sysprep, DISM & an answer file.
    Monday, March 13, 2017 3:38 PM