Vista or XP won't boot up RRS feed

• Question

• I think I did a dumb thing.  I have an xp system.  Then I partioned the drive to install Vista, but this was just a Vista business upgrade.

So everything was fine until today when I wanted to clean my xp partition.  I formatted the partition, reinstalled xp, and everything worked fine except i wasn't prompted to choose which os to boot to anymore.  I read that I needed to install easybcd or something like that.  I did that, it said it would redo the boot manager and to restart the machine.  I did that, but now I keep getting the error that the boot manager file is missing.

What can I do?  I do not have a full vista dvd, just the business upgrade cd.  Any ideas how I can boot to either os???

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 3:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you have Windows XP and Windows Vista on separate partition now?

If so, please understand reinstalling Windows XP will damage Boot Manager. You can try the suggestions in the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1.   Insert the Vista disk into DVD-ROM.

2.   Click Start, click Accessories, right-click the command-prompt shortcut, and then click Run as Administrator.

3.   Type the following command at a command prompt and press Enter:

Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All

In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is located.

Note The boot folder for this step is on the DVD drive.

4. type the following commands at a command prompt and press Enter.

Note In the commands below, Drive is the drive where Windows Vista is installed.

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP"

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=x: 

( Note: x: is the drive letter for the active partition. For example, if XP is installed on C drive, device partition=c: )

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

5. Restart the computer.

For more information, please refer to the following article:

Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529/en-us

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:53 AM