none
Having trouble understanding Users as opposed to Resources RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm trying to configure Project Server 2010, I have lots of Sharepoint 2010 Experience but on Project 2003 Experience.

I need to use FBA and Windows, I have that setup now and it was by no means easy.

In PS 2003 you could set up a resource in Project Pro and you would generate a corresponding PWA user.

What is the equivalent in 2010 (and maybe with FBA but I don't think that will be any different)?

If I add a resource and then try to add the user so the resource can access PWA it says the User Name is already in use. If I create the user, there is no resource.  I get that not all PWA users are resources but there must be some way to establish a "user resource" account.

The FBA users are not people. The are machines, each with their own PC. There are multiple operators per machine, and they share reporting duties for the progress that machine makes on multiple projects. So the FBA user account needs publisahed assignments and task sheet. Probably not timesheet.

Thanks, I'm just getting back to this project after a couple months so conceptually rusty.

Monday, July 30, 2012 12:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Toomanyhats.

A user interacts with the system, and as such has to be verified with a user account and password (typically windows domain). 

A resource is something that is used on a project (machine, people, materials etc).  Resources can be different types - Work, material or cost.  Work resources that log onto project server need to have an AD account. 

In your scenario, I would create the FBA resources that can login to project server to represent the machines - they will need a dummy acccount (i'm unfamiliar with FBA).  I would create the operators as users or resources, and give these "operators" delegation rights for the machines, and perform the progress that way.

HTH - others may have an opinion!

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Monday, July 30, 2012 5:24 PM
  • That is nice,

the one additionaly trick is that some operators do not have windows accounts. They could log in as a project server account in 2003 and that was OK. Now I need their FBA account to have the same resource association as before. (I will be starting new resources in 2010) and then get access to PWA for example  ResourceA's tasks for the FBA account ResourceA.

In addition our customers are part of project teams but they obviously won't have Windows account.

This can't be too rare, I think perhaps I don't know how to search or ask for it. Lots of people used Project Authentication in 2003, so how is that functionality taken care of now? 

You said...
    "Work resources that log onto project server need to have an AD account."
    ...really I was told by that was not the case. How would that ever work between companies/divisions without a Domain relationship?

I can see how delegation would be useful but I need the FBA account to be a PWA/resource account.

Expanding on your idea I guess I could create the machine accounts in active directory and give deny all permissions to them. Each machine would need a Sharepoint Cal , but I don't think there would be any windows server cals need because because they could only access network resources via account multiplexing.

Monday, July 30, 2012 6:09 PM
  • Hi,

Project server accounts were replaced in 2007 by Forms Based Authenticaion (you are already there with your FBA), so sorry if I misled you, what I should have said is that "Work resources that log onto project server need to have to have an account".  You can have your PWA/resource to be configured with FBA.

I would have thought you would have needed Windows Server CALs for everyone, think about DNS, IP and all the other services that any client on a windows network will use. 

Monday, July 30, 2012 6:56 PM
  • Yes "everyone", but not "everything" is what I was trying to express. Not worth discussing cals.

Thanks for the confirmation that I'm on the right track, but that brings me back to the start.

"You can have your PWA/resource to be configured with FBA."

I created a PWA FBA user and can login as that user, but can't figure it out.  Add Resource was Different than Add User as the Add Resource does not have a domain user login value to be entered.

I think that is my main confusion, and contrary to 2003.

You could open a resource pool (in pro) add resource name/calendar and AD account, save the pool, then go to PWA and the account was there. So how does the reource get the association to a windows account(and since windows account is equivalent to FBA, be extension the association between resource and FBA). I'm simply looking for the equivalent. 

Even Ignoring the 2003 reference, how does adding a work resource relate to the authorizing account?

Monday, July 30, 2012 8:32 PM
  • If you are creating a user, you can turn that user into a resource by checking the User can be assigned as a resource checkbox.  Further down the webpage you enter the user details in the User Login Account info - this is where you type in the FBA details in the format MembershipProviderName:UserAccount

Certainly 2003 is different to 2010; however it is still possible to open the Enterprise Resource Pool from the Resources page, and enter the resources in Project Pro - the account details are as above.

Monday, July 30, 2012 8:53 PM
  • When I read your last reply I was thinking, that is obvious, I must have missed it. But Once I went to look I'm still not getting it.

PWA->Server Settings->Manage Users  I have a USER there that is derived from an FBA account.

Project 2010 Pro->Resource Tab->ResourcePool->Enterprise Resource pool->brings Up a Pwa page, Resources Center. Since the FBA user was created as can be assigned as resourse why is that fba user not in the Resource Center? But I can assign them as a team member. You see since these are reporting accounts I need to configure them in the Enterprise Resource Pool not just as team members. Otherwise with hundreds of resources, how will I manage them. Also the actual users may report on behave of one or more resources. so that windows users would need to log in successively to three different accounts.

• Edited by Toomanyhats Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:22 PM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:18 PM
  • Are you sure you don't have any filters applied in the resource center?

• Marked as answer by Toomanyhats Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:10 PM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Genius,  thank you so much.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Delighted - glad it worked out for you :) 

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:14 PM
  • What a lot of thinking effort over something simple.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:36 PM