External access to voicemail in Lync RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to access Lync voicemail (Exchange UM) from externally outside the company by accessing an individual mailbox?

For example I have a voicemail mailbox. Can I access this by dialling my own number and entering a code for example to try and access my voicemail. Rather than dialling the UM number, entering my mailbox number and then entering a pin?  Reason for this is we don't want alll external calls externally for voicemail to come into one central point.

Thanks

Leesa

Thursday, January 26, 2012 1:25 PM

Answers

• The only way to access your voicemail using a phone is to dial the Exchange UM subscriber access number. Out of the box, you need to provide your extension and PIN to access this.

However, some voice gateways (like the NET VX 1200 and UX 1000/2000) can manipulate the calling number of the user to display the Lync EV number, thus "pre-authenticating" the user and only requiring the PIN be entered to Exchange UM.

Justin Morris | Consultant | Modality Systems
    Lync Blog - www.justin-morris.net
    Twitter: @jm_deluxe
    If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

• Proposed as answer by Noya Lau Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Noya Lau Saturday, February 4, 2012 10:31 AM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 10:37 AM

All replies

•  

Is your requirement to not "come into a central point" -OR- to not require dialing your own extension and pin?

+Say thanks and observe basic forum courtesy:
    +If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer
    +If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful

windowspbx blog: my thots/howtos
    see/submit Lync suggestions here: simple and public

Friday, January 27, 2012 1:20 AM
  • I would be curious about this one. 

We would like people to dial their own office phone number and when they get to voicemail - they could enter a PIN number or something to retrieve their  vmail.

Friday, January 27, 2012 4:05 AM
  • The only way to access your voicemail using a phone is to dial the Exchange UM subscriber access number. Out of the box, you need to provide your extension and PIN to access this.

However, some voice gateways (like the NET VX 1200 and UX 1000/2000) can manipulate the calling number of the user to display the Lync EV number, thus "pre-authenticating" the user and only requiring the PIN be entered to Exchange UM.

Justin Morris | Consultant | Modality Systems
    Lync Blog - www.justin-morris.net
    Twitter: @jm_deluxe
    If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

• Proposed as answer by Noya Lau Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Noya Lau Saturday, February 4, 2012 10:31 AM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 10:37 AM
  • Thanks Justin,

I was checking if there is a way for Exchange UM to authenticate the user via caller ID (like the caller ID of the mobile call the subscriber access number) and did not see that. (some other pbx's do this)

+Say thanks and observe basic forum courtesy:
    +If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer
    +If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful

windowspbx blog: my thots/howtos
    see/submit Lync suggestions here: simple and public
    Friday, January 27, 2012 2:15 PM
  • I don't think this is limited to certain gateways.  I access our Exchange subscriber access number via a Lync SIP trunk, and when I call in with my cell phone, it just prompts me for my PIN.  I've always assumed that it "authenticated" me because it saw my cell phone number in my AD properties.  Works the same way from my home number too!

Ken

http://ucken.blogspot.com

Friday, January 27, 2012 9:45 PM