none
Collating Lessons Learned from across Project Sites into central location - Any suggestions? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is a Project Server question or a SharePoint 2013 question (or both!), so please bear with me.

Each of our projects has an associated project SharePoint site created out of Project Server. Within these they each have a lessons learned log in the form of a list.

Is it possible to pull the contents from the lessons learned lists from across all the project sites into a central location, enabling us to share "real time" lessons learned across the organization? If so, do you have any suggestions on how I might achieve this?

Thanks!

Louisa

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 5:10 PM

All replies

• Louisa,

I can think of many ways to achieve this, depending on your requirement. I think the real question is that, do you physically need all the Lessons Learned in one location, or just the ability to display in one central place will suffice?

If you do not NEED these items physically in a central location:

1) You could use Content Search Web part to show all items of type "lessons Learned" across all sites in one place. 

2) You could use Power BI or Power Query to make a report that queries cross sites. See Paul's excellent post on this topic.

3) You could improve your Search Configuration, to allow for searching items of type of Lessons learned, and further filtering. Sort of Google Search.

If you do NEED these items physically in a central location:

1) A workflow to move the items (may be after the project closes), into a central sharepoint site. Should not be too complicated.

2) You can use in built Records Management functionality in SharePoint to move items from one site to another and then use Content Organizer to oraganize the lessons learnt

I think I have thronw enough 'buzz' words, to help you search for them for more information :)

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 5:34 PM