Activation will not compute! RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings;

I purchased XP-Pro with the Vista Business upgrade last fall,now after installing Vista on a new drive (It would not let me install on a partition) the product activation will not complete, it says CODE# 0XC004F061

"The Software Licensing Service determined that this product key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installations"

Now I tried to install it on a clean part of my drive but it would not let me, so I formatted and installed on a fresh drive, do I have to re-install XP-Pro and then try the upgrade path? (probably a stupid question right?)

Anyway thanks for any help or reply.

DJ

Sunday, July 1, 2007 1:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Indeed, you if you got a licence for Windows Vista as upgrade copy, so installing it into a clean partition will cause problems during setup and activation process. So you should have your Windows XP installed then perform upgrade to Windows Vista Business.

Good luck

Monday, July 2, 2007 10:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Indeed, you if you got a licence for Windows Vista as upgrade copy, so installing it into a clean partition will cause problems during setup and activation process. So you should have your Windows XP installed then perform upgrade to Windows Vista Business.

Good luck

Monday, July 2, 2007 10:11 PM
  • Or... you could upgrade over top of your existing install of Vista.

* Spoom notes you didn't hear it from me -_-
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 3:57 PM