none
Discrepancies between PWA version and file opened in MS Project RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Project Server 2010 and have more than 30 projects that are regularly being edited.

I have a problem with one file in that the version on PWA is different to the one that is opened by MS Project. It happens on different computers so is not a cache issue. The version on PWA has 430 rows and when I open it in MS Project (File - Open - double click on "Retrieve the list of all projects from Project Server - click on file) it shows a file with only 392 rows.

The latest version is on PWA and when I can edit and publish it successfully. The trouble is that I can't see my changes in MS Project.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:49 AM

Answers

• When you are looking at the number of rows, presumably you are viewing the Task ID number?  Are they sequential, or are they sorted/grouped in a different order.  I was thinking that filters might be playing a part, but of course the task IDs are still displayed against the task, so unless you are filtering out some of the rows in MSProject (press F3 to remove all filters).

Do you get the same issue if you open the file in MSP but initiating the open from PWA?

Have you tried re-publishing the project, and checking that the publish is successful without any Q errors.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

• Marked as answer by HFprojects Wednesday, July 17, 2013 11:19 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:56 AM

All replies

• When you view the schedule PDP in PWA you are viewing the published database, and when you edit it you then view the data in the Drafts database.  How many rows does the PWA one have when you are editing it?  Also, when you are editing it, please try and open it in MSProject - it should be checked out therefore allowing you to open it in Read-Only mode (I want to make sure that they are not different files!).

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:41 AM
  • In PWA it has 556 rows and in MS Project, the identical file has only 552 rows.

When editing the file in PWA it only lets me open it in Read-Only mode in the MS Project.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:18 AM
  • When you are looking at the number of rows, presumably you are viewing the Task ID number?  Are they sequential, or are they sorted/grouped in a different order.  I was thinking that filters might be playing a part, but of course the task IDs are still displayed against the task, so unless you are filtering out some of the rows in MSProject (press F3 to remove all filters).

Do you get the same issue if you open the file in MSP but initiating the open from PWA?

Have you tried re-publishing the project, and checking that the publish is successful without any Q errors.

• Marked as answer by HFprojects Wednesday, July 17, 2013 11:19 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:56 AM
  • Thanks  for the feedback.

It was a filter issue and when I cleared them it worked.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 11:19 AM
  • Excellent.  Sometimes it's the smallest of things!

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 11:55 AM