can not see anything on server 08 desktop after boot RRS feed

• Question

• MSFT MVP,

I have Dell Poweredge Server running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard edition.   I have software RAID controller with 2 250G hard drives.    When I hard boot my server I see the initial Microsoft Windows starting(with green activity bar) but after that my monitor goes completely black.   All I can do is move and see my mouse cursor.   I can not see the logon window to enter my server's password and when the boot process is completed my desktop is completely black.   The only thing I can see is my mouse cursor.   Thus, I can not perform any functions at all like server manager.   I can not see nothing.    IS THERE ANY WAY TO REPAIR MY WINDOWS SERVER 2008 INSTALLATION.   It seems to be corrupted.    My video card is good and working.    It does the exact same behavior in Safe Mode.   It does seem that my hard disks do have some errors that I am trying to fix.    Is there any way to restore/fix Server 08 so I have access to my Server 2008 desktop?    I do not have a full system backup and I do not really want to reinstall my Server 2008 OS.    Any suggestions?   First,  I really need to be able to just enter my server's  admin user name and password when I boot the server.  I can not even do this because the monitor is just black.  Any HELP?

Thanks,

Weedfrog

Friday, August 16, 2013 11:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• What exactly are the hard disk errors you're trying to fix?

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, August 16, 2013 11:34 PM
  • Dave,

I have a RAID 1 setup with only a software RAID controller.    DISK0 shows ready and DISK1 show online with no space left.   I ran a hardware diagnosis on the drive which did show some sort of errors on the hard drives.  I am planning on replacing the hard drives at some point.     I think I can get to a command prompt only when I boot the server.     Maybe I can do a defrag here.   IS DEFRAG available with SERVER 2008?   And maybe I can check the amount of free space here.   My 250G hard drive should be almost empty.  I am maybe using 50G at the most.      

But again, I do not know why I can not see my logon  and my server 08 desktop is black after I hard boot the system.    Any ideas on how to get the desktop to show up?    If I could see my desktop I could do a lot more troubleshooting etc.   My server 08 functions are mostly working just fine,  so it would be great if I could regain access my server 08 desktop stuff.

Any HELP?

Thanks

Weedfrog

Sunday, August 18, 2013 4:51 PM
  • You might also try booting the mirrored disk.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951985

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, August 18, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Are you sure its software raid? Generally Dell would ship it with hardware raid configured.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sunday, August 18, 2013 5:11 PM
  • DAVE,

Any idea WHY I can not see my desktop stuff?  Is there a repair option when boot from Server 08 DVD media?  Is defrag a good idea?

Thanks,

Weedfrog

Sunday, August 18, 2013 5:14 PM
  • I don't think defrag will help. This one might help.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4162.windows-server-2008-repair-steps-for-no-boot-issues.aspx

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Monday, August 26, 2013 6:05 PM
    Sunday, August 18, 2013 5:18 PM