Windows Server 2016TP5 Sysprep setupdigetclassdevs failed with error 0 RRS feed

• Question

• I do Windows Server 2016TP5 build with Packer. ISO is downloaded from MSDN, and hash is fine. Packer on my machine is working fine with Linux and Windows Server 2012R2. Autounattend and scripts are almost the same as for 2012R2, all scripts can run successfully on test VM with WS2015TP5.

The problem is that sysprep fails with error setupdigetclassdevs failed with error 0

I've tried:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUser | Remove-AppxPackage
    Stop-Service -Name "tiledatamodelsvc"
    Set-Service -Name "tiledatamodelsvc" -StartupType Disabled
    Set-ItemProperty -Path "registry::HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus" -Name "GeneralizationState" -Value 7

... but nothing helped. Any ideas about how it can be fixed?

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, July 21, 2016 4:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post,

According to my research, Sysprep was failing to generalize because something was stopping it from continuing the process. The errors were logged in the following folder:-

C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Panther

and the following files contained info pointing to the failure:-

• setupact.log
    • setuperr.log

Please check if there are some errors like below in your setuperr.log:

Error SYSPRP Failed while deleting repository files under ‘C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository’”

If yes, the service tiledatamodelsvc is responsible, and all you have to do to fix is stop the service before running sysprep. That service prevents Sysprep from accessing the files in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository.

To resolve the problem, try one of these three methods:

1. Stop it with PowerShell

Stop-Service tiledatamodelsvc

2. Stop it from a cmd prompt

net stop tiledatamodelsvc

3. Stop it in the Computer Management console

Open Computer Management and select services, locate the tiledatamodelsvc, right click it, and choose Stop.

Once the service is stopped, you can sysprep the computer.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alvwan Monday, July 25, 2016 3:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Friday, August 5, 2016 10:09 AM
    Friday, July 22, 2016 6:56 AM